|Studio album by Santana|
|Genre||Jazz fusion, funk|
|Producer||Carlos Santana, Michael Shrieve, Tom Coster|
|Rolling Stone||(not rated)|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Borboletta is the sixth studio album by Santana. It is one of his jazz-funk-fusion oriented albums, along with Caravanserai, Welcome, Love Devotion Surrender with John McLaughlin and Illuminations with Alice Coltrane, Jack DeJohnette and Jules Broussard. The guitarist leaves a lot of room to percussion, saxophone and keyboards to set moods ("Spring Manifestations"), as well as lengthy solos by himself ("Promise of a Fisherman") and vocals ("Give and Take", a funky guitar-led song). The record was released in a shiny blue sleeve displaying a butterfly, an allusion to the album Butterfly Dreams by Brazilian musician Flora Purim and her husband Airto Moreira, whose contributions deeply influenced the sound of Borboletta.
- "Spring Manifestations" (Airto Moreira, Flora Purim) - 1:05
- "Canto de los Flores" (Tom Coster, Santana Band) - 3:39
- "Life Is Anew" (Carlos Santana, Michael Shrieve) - 4:22
- "Give and Take" (Santana, Coster, Shrieve) - 5:44
- "One with the Sun" (Jerry Martini, Earlyrin Martini) - 4:22
- "Aspirations" (Coster, Santana) - 5:10
- "Practice What You Preach" (Santana) - 4:31
- "Mirage" (Leon Patillo) - 4:43
- "Here and Now" (Peraza, Santana) - 3:01
- "Flor de Canela" (Santana, Doug Rauch) - 2:09
- "Promise of a Fisherman (Promessa de Pescador)" (Dorival Caymmi) - 8:18
- "Borboletta" (Moreira) - 2:47
- Leon Patillo - vocals, piano
- Flora Purim – vocals
- Carlos Santana - guitar, percussion
- Tom Coster - piano, keyboards
- Doug Rauch - bass guitar
- Stanley Clarke - bass guitar
- David Brown - bass guitar
- Michael Shrieve - drums
- Leon "Ndugu" Chancler - drums
- Jules Broussard - soprano and tenor saxophones
- Armando Peraza - percussion, congas
- José Areas - timbales, congas
- Airto Moreira - percussion
Airto Moreira and Flora Purim appear courtesy of CTI Records
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Ruhlmann, William (2011). "Borboletta - Santana | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (2011). "Robert Christgau: Album: Santana: Borboletta". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Santana - Borboletta". Džuboks (in Serbian) (Gornji Milanovac: Dečje novine) (6 (second series)): 23.
- Palmer, Bob (20 December 1978). "Santana: Borboletta : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Santana: Album Guide". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Carlos Santana". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "British album certifications – Santana – Borboletta". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Borboletta in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Santana – Borboletta". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
|This 1970s rock album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|