List of island countries
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
This is a list of island countries. An island is a land mass (smaller than a continent) that is surrounded by water. Many island countries are spread over an archipelago, as is the case with the Federated States of Micronesia and the Philippines (which consists of thousands of islands). Others consist of a single island, such as Nauru. Although Australia is designated as a continent, it is often referred to as an island and has no land borders. Some declared island countries are not universally recognized as politically independent.
Sovereign States 
The following list is sortable, including sortable by population, area or population density:
|Name||Geographic configuration||Geologic location||Population||Area (km²)||Density (per km²)||Geographic location|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Two main islands||Continental shelf||85,632||440||194||Caribbean Sea, Leeward Islands|
|Australia[n 1]||One main islands||Australian continent||22,547,870||7,686,848||2.93||Australia|
|Bahamas||Archipelago||Continental shelf||330,000||13,878||23.27||Atlantic Ocean, Bahamas|
|Bahrain||One main island||Continental shelf||791,000||750||1,189.5||Persian Gulf|
|Barbados||One main island||Continental shelf||269,556||430||627||Caribbean Sea, Windward Islands|
|Brunei||Part of a larger island||Continental shelf||388,190||5,765||67.3||Maritime Southeast Asia|
|Cape Verde||Archipelago||Oceanic||567,000||4,033||125.5||Atlantic Ocean, Africa|
|Comoros||Archipelago||Oceanic||798,000||2,235||275||Indian Ocean, Africa|
|Cuba||One main island||Continental shelf||11,241,161||109,884||102.3||Caribbean Sea, Greater Antilles|
|Cyprus[n 2]||One main island (de jure)
Part of a larger island (de facto)
|Continental shelf||793,963||9,251||85||Mediterranean Sea|
|Dominica||One main island||Continental shelf||72,660||754||105||Caribbean Sea, Lesser Antilles|
|Dominican Republic||Shares one main island||Continental shelf||10,990,000||48,442||208.2||Caribbean Sea, Greater Antilles|
|East Timor||Part of a larger island||Continental shelf||1,066,582||14,874||76.2||Maritime Southeast Asia|
|Federated States of Micronesia[n 3]||Archipelago||Oceanic||111,000||702||158.1||Pacific Ocean, Micronesia|
|Fiji||Archipelago||Oceanic||849,000||18,274||46.4||Pacific Ocean, Melanesia|
|Grenada||One main island||Continental shelf||110,000||344||319.8||Caribbean Sea, Windward Islands|
|Haiti||Shares one main island||Continental shelf||9,700,000||27,750||350||Caribbean Sea, Greater Antilles|
|Iceland||One main island||Oceanic||316,252||103,000||3.1||Atlantic Ocean|
|Indonesia||Archipelago||Two continental shelves||237,556,363||1,904,569||124.7||Maritime Southeast Asia|
|Ireland||Shares one main island||Continental shelf||4,588,252||70273||65.3||Atlantic Ocean, British Isles|
|Jamaica||One main island||Continental shelf||2,847,232||10,991||252||Caribbean Sea, Greater Antilles|
|Japan||Archipelago||Continental shelf||127,433,494||377,873||337||Pacific Ocean, East Asia|
|Kiribati||Archipelago||Oceanic||98,000||811||135||Pacific Ocean, Micronesia|
|Madagascar||One main island||Oceanic||20,653,556||587,041||35.2||Indian Ocean, Africa|
|Malta||Two main islands||Continental shelf||404,500||316||1,282||Mediterranean Sea|
|Marshall Islands[n 3]||Archipelago||Oceanic||62,000||181||342.5||Pacific Ocean, Micronesia|
|Mauritius||Archipelago||Oceanic||1,244,663||2,040||610||Indian Ocean, Africa|
|Nauru||One island||Oceanic||13,635||21||649||Pacific Ocean, Micronesia|
|New Zealand||Two main islands||Continental shelf||4,027,947||268,680||15||Pacific Ocean, Polynesia|
|Northern Cyprus[n 2]||Part of a larger island||Continental shelf||285,359||3,355||78||Mediterranean Sea|
|Palau[n 3]||Archipelago||Oceanic||20,000||459||43.6||Pacific Ocean, Micronesia|
|Papua New Guinea||Part of a larger island||Continental shelf||6,732,000||462,840||14.5||Pacific Ocean, Melanesia|
|Philippines||Archipelago||Continental shelf||88,574,614||300,000||295||Maritime Southeast Asia|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Two main islands||Continental shelf||51,300||261||164||Caribbean Sea, Leeward Islands|
|Saint Lucia||One main island||Continental shelf||173,765||616||298||Caribbean Sea, Windward Islands|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||One main island||Continental shelf||120,000||389||307||Caribbean Sea, Windward Islands|
|Samoa||Archipelago||Oceanic||179,000||2,831||63.2||Pacific Ocean, Polynesia|
|São Tomé and Príncipe||Two main islands||Continental shelf||163,000||1,001||169.1||Atlantic Ocean, Africa|
|Seychelles||Archipelago||Oceanic||87,500||455||192||Indian Ocean, Africa|
|Singapore||One main island||Continental shelf||5,312,400||715.8||7,422||Maritime Southeast Asia|
|Solomon Islands||Archipelago||Oceanic||523,000||28,400||18.1||Pacific Ocean, Melanesia|
|Sri Lanka||One main island||Continental shelf||23,650,000||65,610||314||Indian Ocean|
|Taiwan [n 4]||One main island||Continental shelf||22,911,292||36,188||633||Pacific Ocean, East Asia|
|Tonga||Archipelago||Oceanic||104,000||748||139||Pacific Ocean, Polynesia|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Two main islands||Continental shelf||1,299,953||5,131||254.4||Caribbean Sea, South America|
|Tuvalu||Archipelago||Oceanic||12,373||26||475.88||Pacific Ocean, Polynesia|
|United Kingdom||One main island||Continental shelf||60,587,300||244,820||246||Atlantic Ocean, British Isles|
|Vanuatu||Archipelago||Oceanic||243,304||12,190||19.7||Pacific Ocean, Melanesia|
Dependencies and other notable regions 
Former nations 
- Republic of Anguilla
- Kingdom of Corsica (1736)
- Corsican Republic
- Anglo-Corsican Kingdom
- Cretan State
- Kingdom of Cyprus
- Duchy of the Archipelago
- Republic of Ezo
- Republic of Formosa
- Franceville, New Hebrides
- Kingdom of Great Britain
- Commonwealth of Iceland
- Kingdom of Iceland
- Kingdom of Ireland
- Irish Free State[n 11]
- Kingdom of Majorca
- Kingdom of Man
- Mataram Sultanate
- Micronesian Empire
- Dominion of Newfoundland[n 12]
- Republic of the North Solomons
- Northern Ireland
- Islands of Refreshment
- Ryūkyū Kingdom
- Kingdom of Sicily
- Kingdom of Tavolara
- Principality of Trinidad
- Tu'i Tonga Empire
- West Indies Federation, split up into Anguilla, Antigua, Barbados, Barbuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago, Trinidad, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
Former colonies, possessions, protectorates and territories 
- Cape Breton Island, now part of Nova Scotia, Canada
- Danish West Indies, now the United States Virgin Islands
- Hong Kong Island (1841–1860), now part of Hong Kong, a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China[n 13]
- Labuan, briefly part of British North Borneo, the Strait settlements and Sabah, now a federal territory of Malaysia
- Mayotte, now an overseas department of France
- Newfoundland (1583–1809), now Province of Newfoundland and Labrador of Canada[n 12]
- New Hebrides, now Vanuatu
- Prince Edward Island, now a province of Canada
- Réunion, now an overseas department of France
- Socotra, now part of Yemen
- Tasmania, now a state of Australia, shares a land boundary with Victoria on Boundary Islet
- Vancouver Island, now a part of British Columbia, Canada
- The People's Republic of Zanzibar, now a member of the United Republic of Tanzania.
See also 
- List of archipelagos
- List of countries that border only one other country
- List of divided islands
- List of islands by population
- List of islands by area
- List of islands by population density
- List of islands
- Australia is often considered a continent. This makes its status as an island country disputable.
- The north part of the island of Cyprus is a de facto independent state recognized only by Turkey.
- In free association with the USA
- The Republic of China (commonly known as "Taiwan") only controls the islands of Taiwan, Matsu, Kinmen, Penghu etc after the Chinese Civil War, but has not renounced claim on areas currently under control of People's Republic of China, Mongolia, Tuva (a Russian republic) etc. If those territories are taken into account, the Republic of China is not a borderless country or a country centered with a major island. The area under ROC control is also claimed by the People's Republic of China. See Legal status of Taiwan, Political status of Taiwan and One-China policy.
- Market Reef defines the border between Finland and Sweden. The lighthouse on the reef is administered directly from Finland and is usually not considered a part of the autonomous Åland Islands.
- The Cook Islands and Niue are in free association with New Zealand. See Niue Constitution Act 1974 (NZ). Tokelau is a territory of New Zealand.
- The Falkland Islands are also claimed by Argentina.
- Territories of the United States
- The Minquiers off Jersey are claimed by France.
- Administered by Norway under the Svalbard Treaty.
- Under the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State included all of the island of Ireland but Northern Ireland exercised its option to leave the Irish Free State and rejoin the United Kingdom on 8 December 1922. Therefore, from 6 December 1922 to 8 December 1922, the Irish Free State was a borderless island country.
- The Colony of Newfoundland covers the island of Newfoundland before 1808. In 1808, part of the peninsula of Labrador was transferred to Newfoundland from Lower Canada. In other words, before 1808, Newfoundland was an island colony. From 1808 onwards, the Colony of Newfoundland, and later the Dominion of Newfoundland, had been an island plus an area on the continent of North America.
- The Crown Colony of Hong Kong covered only Hong Kong Island from 1841 to 1860. Kowloon, south of Boundary Street on the continent, was added in 1860, and extended to include the New Territories in 1898.
- "Definition of island". Oxford University Press.
- Statistics Singapore - Latest Data - Population & Land Area