Boris Blank (musician)
Boris Blank at TEDx Hamburg, June 4, 2013.jpg
January 15, 1952 |
|Occupations||Musician, conceptual artist|
Boris Blank is the musical part of Yello. He composes the songs and is responsible for the characteristic sound, having the reputation of a perfectionist. Boris considers himself as a constructor of music, starting composing with manipulation of self-recorded samples and finishing the tracks with the participation of invited professional musicians.
Prior to his musical career, Blank worked as a truck driver. As a child he was very interested in music, but had no formal training. He never learned to read musical notation but always was interested in producing new sounds and samples. Blank began experimenting with tape loops and echo effects as a teenager. He recorded watersounds from a bucket of water and played sounds on a homemade bamboo flute. It was in this period he met Carlos Perón. Later, they formed Yello, with Dieter Meier as a conceptualist, vocalist and lyricist.
He also composes and produces solo music, under the name Avant Garden, which is strictly intended for licensing to the film and TV production industry. This music is currently handled by Extreme Music.
Blank was blinded in one eye in a childhood accident while playing with gunpowder and empty bullet shells.
(credited to Malia / Boris Blank)
- Entertainment Weekly, "Essential Yello" Reviewed by Marisa Fox. April 30th, 1993.
- The Yello Site
- "Boris Blank discography". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Boris Blank discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Boris Blank discography". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Official site
- Boris Blank (II) at the Internet Movie Database
- Boris Blank interview in Sound On Sound magazine
|This article about a Swiss singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|