Boris Mordukhovich is an American mathematician recognized for his research in the areas of nonlinear analysis, optimization, and control theory. Mordukhovich is one of the founders of modern variational analysis and generalized differentiation. Currently he is Distinguished University Professor and Lifetime Scholar of the Academy of Scholars at Wayne State University (Vice President, 2009-2010 and President, 2010-2011). He also holds Chair Professorship of Mathematics and Statistics at the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia and holds associations with several other educational and research institutions.
Life and works
Mordukhovich was born and educated in the Soviet Union; he immigrated to the United States with his family in December 1988. He developed constructions of generalized differentiation (bearing now his name), and their development and applications to classes of problems in variational analysis, optimization, equilibrium, control, economics, engineering, and other fields. His theory and various applications have been recently summarized in the 2-volume monograph and more than 350 journal publications.
Mordukhovich is an AMS Fellow of the Inaugural Class, a SIAM Fellow, and a recipient of many international awards and honors, including Dr. Honoris Causa from the National Sun Yat-sen University in Taiwan, Vasile Goldiş University in Romania, University of Messina, University of Alicante in Spain, Babes-Bolyai University, Romania and from Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology. He was the Founding Editor and remains the Editor-in-Chief of Set-Valued and Variational Analysis, an international journal. In 2011, he was elected to the Accademia Peloritana dei Pericolanti (Italy) and also to chair the International Working Group on Generalized Convexity. He is in the list of Highly Cited Researchers in Mathematics, maintained by Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).
- King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals
- R. Henrion, A. Kruger and J. Outrata, "Boris Mordukhovich, The Never Tired Traveller, Celebrates His Sixtieth Birthday," Set-Valued Analysis, Vol. 16 (2008), 125-127; http://220.127.116.11:88/w2c/isvao/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=51
- D. F. M. Torres and A. J. Zaslavski, "Editorial to the special issue of the International Journal of Mathematics and Statistics (IJMS), dedicated to Boris S. Mordukhovich on the occasion of his 60th birthday," IJMS, Vol. 5 (2009), Number A09; http://srv-ceoc.mat.ua.pt/ojs/index.php/ijms/article/viewFile/147/58
- B. S. Mordukhovich, "Variational Analysis and Generalized Differentiation, I: Basic Theory, II: Applications," Grundlehren Series (Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences), Vols. 330 and 331, Springer, 2006.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-10.
- Babeș-Bolyai University