|Born||Boris Petrovitch Uvarov
November 5, 1899
|Died||March 18, 1970
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg State University|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society (1950)|
Boris Petrovitch Uvarov was son of Pyotr P. Uvarov, a state bank employee, and his wife, Aleksandra. He studied biology in the Saint Petersburg State University, graduating in 1910. He worked as entomologist in Stavropol and put locust control on a sound scientific basis. From 1915 he worked in Tiflis, which after the Russian revolution of 1917 had become the capital of the short-lived Democratic Republic of Georgia.
Starting in 1945, Dr. Uvarov and his small team received official designation as the Anti-Locust Research Centre. During the next fourteen years, the Centre developed into the foremost laboratory in the world for research on locusts. He made important contributions areas of taxonomy, population biology and locust control.
On 10 June 1961, Dr. Uvarov was named Member Second Class, or Knight Commander, of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and St George, for his contributions to science, particularly as Director of the Anti-Locust Research Centre. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1950., his nomination readsreads:
|“||His researches on taxonomy, morphology, biometrics and behaviour of locusts led him to formulate the phase theory respecting those insects, greatly influencing locus research throughout the world. It has also provided a basis for international policy of prevention of locust outbreaks. His studies of outbreaks in Africa contributed much towards establishing correlation between seasonal weather conditions and locus migrations thus providing a basis for forecasting. Other work includes over 150 papers on taxonomy of Orthoptera and many on Orthopterous faunas. Has also done much to encourage locust research and played a leading part in planning international anti-locus measures. ||”|
His niece was Dame Olga Uvarov.
- Locusts and Grasshoppers (1928)
- Insect Nutrition and Metabolism (1928)
- Insects and Climate (1931)
- Grasshoppers and Locusts (V. I, 1966, ISBN 0-85135-072-0 V. II, 1977 ISBN 978-0-85135-072-1)
- Wigglesworth, V. B. (1971). "Boris Petrovitch Uvarov 1889-1970". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 17: 713–726. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1971.0029.
- "Uvarov, Sir Boris Petrovich". The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. 2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/36619.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue: Uvarov, Sir Boris Petrovich". London: The Royal Society. Retrieved 2013-12-06.