Borough of Chorley
|Borough of Chorley|
Shown within Lancashire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||North West England|
|Founded||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Chorley Borough Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MPs:||Lindsay Hoyle (L)|
|• Total||78.3 sq mi (202.8 km2)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 215th|
|• Density||1,400/sq mi (530/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
|Postcode areas||PR6–PR7, BL6|
|ONS code||30UE (ONS)
|OS grid reference||SD5817|
The present Borough of Chorley was formed on 1 April 1974 by the merger of the then existing municipal borough of Chorley with the urban districts of Adlington and Withnell, and Chorley Rural District.
With exception of the town of Chorley, which remains an unparished area, the borough has twenty-three civil parishes: Adlington, Anderton, Anglezarke, Astley Village, Bretherton, Brindle, Charnock Richard, Clayton-le-Woods, Coppull, Croston, Cuerden, Eccleston, Euxton, Heapey, Heath Charnock, Heskin, Hoghton, Mawdesley, Rivington, Ulnes Walton, Wheelton, Whittle-le-Woods, and Withnell.
- Adlington & Anderton
- Astley & Buckshaw
- Brindle and Hoghton
- Chisnall (Charnock Richard, Heskin and Coppull West)
- Chorley East
- Chorley North East
- Chorley North West
- Chorley South East
- Chorley South West
- Clayton-le-Woods & Whittle-le-Woods
- Clayton-le-Woods North
- Clayton-le-Woods West & Cuerden
- Eccleston & Mawdesley
- Euxton North
- Euxton South
- Heath Charnock & Rivington
- Lostock (Bretherton, Croston, & Ulnes Walton)
- Pennine (Heapey & Anglezarke)
- Wheelton & Withnell
The Chorley Parliament constituency is a constituency in the House of Commons, and until recently it was coterminous with the borough. Through boundary changes, Croston, Eccleston, Bretherton and Mawdesley were transferred to the South Ribble constituency. The current Member of Parliament for Chorley is Lindsay Hoyle, who was first elected to the seat in 1997.
- "Neighbourhood Statistics - Chorley (Local Authority)". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- Your Councillors by Ward. Chorley Council. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- Chorley Lower-Layer Super Output Areas. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 27 June 2010.