Boroughmuir High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
|Motto||Justus et Tenax
(Latin: "Just and Tenacious")
|Houses||Westhall, Hartington, Viewforth, Bruntsfield, Montpelier, Leamington|
|Colours||Green, navy and black|
|Publication||The Crest Newspaper|
Its catchment area is in the south side of the city, and includes Bruntsfield, Buckstone, and South Morningside Primary Schools. In 2011 Boroughmuir's exam results were the forth best state school results in Scotland.
David Dempster is Head Teacher.
Boroughmuir High School acquired the team Boroughmuir RFC in 1913, which is based at the Meggetland Sports Complex, as well as operating U15 (Under 15s) and U18 clubs as after-school activities.
It has an atrium where assemblies take place. Pupils doing physical education normally have to travel to sports centres outside school, usually Meggetland, Meadowbank, The Crags Sports Centre, and the Royal Commonwealth Pool. The main entrance is on Viewforth, and is near to Bruntsfield Primary School. There are plans for a new building, as a site has been secured where an old brewery was.
The outer C.D.T. building houses a small IT suite, mainly used for CAD and design work.
The school also uses an annexe - St Oswald's Church Hall - as its drama department. The site is occasionally used for various other events including musical performances, SQA exams and after-school plays. The annex has two halls, each with a proscenium arch stage, lighting and sound systems.
New school building
- Tom Palmer (rugby union), England national rugby union team player
- Willie Duff, footballer
- Scott Robinson, footballer who currently plays for Heart of Midlothian FC
- Sarah Smith, journalist (Channel 4 News)
- Annette Crosbie, Actress
- Dale Carrick, footballer who currently plays for Heart of Midlothian FC
- Robin M Hochstrasser, a Benjamin Franklin Medal Award winning scientist for his work on molecular spectroscopy.
- "Boroughmuir High School Informational Page from Scottish Schools Online". Scottish Schools Online. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "School Exam Performance 2011". heraldscotland.com.
- "Proposal of a New Borughmuir High School - Important Dates". Edinburgh City Council Planning and Building Standards Online Services. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Proposal of a new Borough High School - Location". Edinburgh City Council. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Published on Thursday 1 May 2008 10:16 (2008-05-01). "Hearts youngster Scott knows his work is only just beginning - Sport". Scotsman.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "I didn't deserve OBE; Scots actress Annette Crosbie didn't think she'd worked hard enough for a gong. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- http://www.boroughmuir.edin.sch.uk/information/news/.../winter_2010 | date=2010-02-13 |accessdate=2013-01-23
- "Franklin Laureate Database". Website. Franklin Institute. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- "Obituary: Robin M Hochstrasser". The Scotsman. scotsman.com. Retrieved 21 March 2013.