|Industry||Mobile Web, Android (operating system), Mobile phone|
|Key people||Pat Chan|
Borqs Beijing Ltd.(Chinese: 播思; pinyin: Bōsī), is an Android software firm headquartered in Beijing. Borqs was founded in September 2007 and has offices in China, India, and the US. In 2011, Borqs was one of six mobile technology companies to receive a piece of $26 million in funding from Intel. Borqs offers Android customization and cloud software for operators and Android commercialization services.
Borqs has been a member of the Open Handset Alliance since 2008 and is also a member of the Symbian Foundation. Borqs is notable as the developer of the OPhone, or Open Mobile System (OMS), for China Mobile. The OPhone is a Linux-kernel-based open source software platform that has been used in conjunction with China Mobile's proprietary TD-SCDMA 3G network.
Version 2.0 of the Ophone software has 50,000 registered developers and was launched in late 2009. China Mobile has signed up more than 20 handset vendors to develop phones for the Ophone OS. OPhone accounted for 38% of the TD-SCDMA smartphone market at the end of 2011. It has been speculated in the Chinese media that, in time, the OPhone may break away from Android entirely and establish itself as a fully independent operating system.
Deloitte's Technology Fast 50 China in 2012 listed Borqs as the 9th-fastest-growing technology firm in China due to the company's three-year growth of 1,054%.
- Motorola Fast Track Company Bio, Motorola Online.
- Intel invests in open source, The Inquirer.
- Borqs to Launch OPhone 3.0 in Q1 2012, Marbridge Consulting Daily Report.
- Chinese Android Ophone 2.0 Makes Debut, telecoms.com.
- "Ophone may leave Android and establish its own Linux-Based Kernel System" (in Chinese). 2011-05-04.
According to the original copyright restrictions for Android, at the necessary time OPhone will be able to completely cast off the Android name and establish itself independently, becoming a completely new smartphone terminal Operating System.
- China's OPhone to find its way to US as Android+, Computer World
- ChinICT Conference, China Tech Stars 3:00
- Borqs Named to 2012 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 China, Borqs PR.
- Silicon Dragon Beijing Entrepreneur of the Year 2012, Silicon Ventures
- Silicon Dragon Beijing Entrepreneur Award, Silicon Dragon Press Blog