A panorama of Lake Borumba
|Location||Wide Bay-Burnett, Queensland|
|Purpose||Irrigation and potable water supply|
|Opening date||1963; upgraded in 1997 and 2009|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment dam|
|Height||43 m (141 ft)|
|Length||343 m (1,125 ft)|
|Dam volume||402×103 m3 (14.2×106 cu ft)|
|Spillway capacity||3,140 m3/s (111,000 cu ft/s)|
|Total capacity||46,000 ML (1,600×106 cu ft)|
|Catchment area||465 km2 (180 sq mi)|
|Surface area||480 ha (1,200 acres)|
|Max. water depth||6.6 m (22 ft)|
The Borumba Dam is a rock-fill embankment dam with an un-gated spillway located across the Yabba Creek in the Wide Bay-Burnett region of Queensland, Australia. The main purposes of the dam are for irrigation and potable water supply. The resultant impounded reservoir is called Lake Borumba.
Location and features
The dam wall is 43 metres (141 ft) high and 343 metres (1,125 ft) long and holds back 46,000 megalitres (1,600×106 cu ft) of water when at full capacity. The surface area of the reservoir is 480 hectares (1,200 acres) and the catchment area is 465 square kilometres (180 sq mi). The uncontrolled un-gated spillway has a discharge capacity of 3,140 cubic metres per second (111,000 cu ft/s). The dam is managed by Seqwater. The dam wall was raised by 2.5 metres (8 ft 2 in) and completed in 1997. During 2008 and 2009 the dam wall was raised by another 1.6 metres (5 ft 3 in).[dead link] The second upgrade was intended to allow better management of extreme rainfall events.
According to a local councillor the spillway developed a crack after an earthquake on 1 December 1991.
A range of recreation activities are permitted at Borumba Dam including boating (powered and non-powered), canoeing and kayaking, water skiing and jet skiing, fishing, camping, and walking. Picnic and barbeque facilities are available.
- "Borumba Dam". Water supply: Dams and weirs. Seqwater. 2014. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Harrison, Rod; James, Ernie; Sully, Chris; Classon, Bill; Eckermann, Joy (2008). Queensland Dams. Victoria: Australian Fishing Network. p. 94. ISBN 978-1-86513-134-4.,
- "Register of Large Dams in Australia" (Excel (requires download)). Dams information. Australian National Committee on Large Dams. 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Spillways step up for assessment". International Dam and Power Construction. Global Trade Media. 16 June 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2012.[dead link]
- "Borumba Dam upgrade won't include storage boost". ABC News (Australia). 9 April 2008. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Green, Glenis (30 January 2007). "Fault line on dam site". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Dam recreation shut down". The Gympie Times. 13 January 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Borumba Dam Fishing Information, Map, pictures & Water Level Gauge
- Pictures- National Library of Australia
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a dam or floodgate in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|