The Bose SoundDock Digital Music System, more commonly simply known as Bose SoundDock or BOSE SoundDock, is a speaker sound system which is compatible with Apple's iPod and Apple's iPhone. It was released as Bose's entry into the growing market of iPod-compatible speakers.
Timeline of Bose digital music systems
("WMS - SL" = Wave Music System - SoundLink; VW = VideoWave)
Source: Bose owners guides
SoundDock series I
The SoundDock included an infrared remote that can control an iPod from across a room. The iPod and SoundDock system can also be operated without the remote. When an iPod is docked, all of its controls are accessible, with one-button volume controls available on the SoundDock system's enclosure. The SoundDock can also charge (via firewire) and in the absence of the wall charger will charge up any iPod made before fall 2008. In 2004, the SoundDock featured in Fortune Magazine's 25 Best Products of the Year and 26 Must-Have Gadgets. In 2006, it was the winner of the MacUser Reader's Award for Audio of the Year.
After Bose released the SoundDock series II, the original SoundDock was discontinued in the United States. But as of 2009, a redesigned SoundDock version 2 is currently being sold in the UK along with all the other SoundDock products. The docking station for the SoundDock version 2 is now "Made for iPhone" certified and now charges via USB.
SoundDock series II
On August 21, 2008 Bose announced the SoundDock Series II system to supersede the original SoundDock effective September 2008. This edition is GSM-shielded for iPhone use, has a 3.5mm stereo jack for other devices (e.g., CD player), and the same sound infrastructure found in the Portable edition addressing sound problems from the original release. The system was released on September 18, 2008.
SoundDock series III
On August 29, 2007, Bose announced the creation of the Bose SoundDock Portable, and it was released on September 20, 2007. The Portable has a battery life ranging from 3 to 14 hours depending on bass and listening volume Though slightly taller and slimmer than the original, it has an "air duct" on the handle and uses an acoustic waveguide. Compared to the original SoundDock portable, it has improved stereo imaging, midrange response and sonic resolution. It also has a remote that can change between different play lists, and a line input.
At a press event on September 15, 2009 Bose announced the SoundDock 10. Priced at US$599, it measures approx 9" high, 17" wide and 10" deep and weighs about 19 lbs. The SoundDock 10 system is "Made for iPod" and "Works with iPhone" certified.
A Bluetooth dock using A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) is available as an accessory. An infrared remote controls the system and the basic functions of an iPod or iPhone, including playlist navigation.
|Version||Dock Connection||AUX In||Battery||iPhone Certified||Video Out||Upgradable Dock||Dual Voltage|
|SoundDock series I||FireWire||No||No||No||No||No||Yes|
|SoundDock series I v2||USB||No||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|SoundDock series II||USB||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|SoundDock series III||Lightning||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|SoundDock Portable v2||USB||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
- Digital Music Solutions Guides. Retrieved August 24, 2010.
- Jeremy Horwitz (2004-11-03). "Bose SoundDock". iLounge. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Bonamici, Kate (2004-12-13). "The 25 BEST PRODUCTS of the Year". CNN.
- "26 Must-Have Gadgets". CNN. 2004-11-29.
- "SoundDock Original digital music system". Bose.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- "SoundDock series I v2 Manual". Bose.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Paul Miller (2008-08-21). "Bose SoundDock Series II heading to a den near you this September". Engadget. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- David Carnoy (2008-08-21). "Bose unveils SoundDock Series II for iPod--and iPhone". CNet. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Mark Wilson (2008-08-21). "SoundDock Series II Allows the iPhone to Visit". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Jeremy Horwitz (2008-09-25). "Bose SoundDock Series II". ilounge. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- BOSE (2012-10-08). "BBose® SoundDock® Series III Digital Music System - First Bose SoundDock System for new iPhone 5 and iPod models". PRWEB. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Wilson Rothman (2007-08-29). "Baby Dock: New Bose SoundDock Portable Arrives at Our Door". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Wilson Rothman (2007-08-31). "Sizemodo and Sound Check: New Bose SoundDock Portable vs. Original SoundDock (Verdict: New One Bigger, Rocks Harder)". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- John Herrman (2009-09-15). "Bose SoundDock 10 Has a Subwoofer In Its Belly, $600 Tag On Its Forehead". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Jeremy Horwitz (2009-11-06). "Bose SoundDock 10". ilounge. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Bill Howard (2009-09-15). "Bose SoundDock 10: Rich Sound for Your iPod". gearlog. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
- Jon Previtera (2009-09-15). "New Bose SoundDock 10 Digital Music System". Bose release on Reuters. Retrieved 2009-11-08.