Borough of Boston
|Borough of Boston|
Shown within the ceremonial county of Lincolnshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|• Type||Boston Borough Council|
|• Leadership:||Leader & Cabinet|
|• MPs:||Mark Simmonds|
|• Total||139.6 sq mi (361.5 km2)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
|• Rank||Ranked 306th|
|• Density||460/sq mi (180/km2)|
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||British Summer Time (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||32UB (ONS)
Post codes used in the district are: in Boston town, PE21 and elsewhere, PE20 and PE22.
Until 1974, Lincolnshire comprised three parts, like the ridings of Yorkshire. In Lincolnshire, "parts" was the formal designation. They were the Parts of Lindsey, Kesteven and Holland. In their final form, they were each, in effect, a county. The 1974 changes divided the Parts of Holland into two districts; the Borough of Boston is the northern one.
- Summary of the Council's organization.
- Day to day management
- Key to descriptions of council services.
The current political composition of the council is as follows:
|Independent Group 2||4|
For full election results see: Boston local elections.
The Borough includes the town of Boston and 18 other, rural wards.
The town electoral wards
They are as follows:
- Central Ward elects one councillor.
- Fenside Ward elects two councillors 12.
- North Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Pilgrim Ward elects one councillor.
- Skirbeck Ward elects three councillors 123.
- South Ward elects one councillor.
- Staniland North Ward elects one councillor.
- Staniland South Ward elects two councillors 12.
- West Ward elects one councillor.
- Witham Ward elects two councillors 12.
The rural electoral wards
Each comprises one or more civil parishes:
- Coastal Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Fishtoft Ward elects three councillors 123.
- Five Village Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Frampton & Holme Ward elects one councillor.
- Kirton Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Old Leake & Wrangle Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Swineshead & Holland Fen Ward elects two councillors 12.
- Wyberton Fen Ward elects two councillors 12.
In 2007, for all districts of Lincolnshire, Boston got the lowest GCSE results. It also has the least-educated group of people in Lincolnshire. At the 2001 census, there were 55,739 citizens in the district. The district has the highest Total Fertility Rate for district councils in England. Only the unitary authorities of Peterborough, Luton, Slough, Blackburn with Darwen. Newham, Barking with Dagenham, and Rutland (the highest) have larger TFRs. It has the same TFR as Oldham, a unitary authority.
- "How the council works". Boston Borough Council. 21 May 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.