|Publisher(s)||Amanita Design, Daedalic Entertainment|
|Composer(s)||Czech alternative band DVA|
|Release date(s)||Windows, OS X, Linux
April 19, 2012
Botanicula is a point-and-click adventure game developed by Amanita Design. The game was released on April 19, 2012, for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux. A version for iPad/iOS will also be developed with no official release date set yet. The game is also in consideration to be ported to Android. Botanicula is helping the World Land Trust to protect hundreds of acres of rainforest.
Botanicula follows the adventure of five botanical creatures (named Mr. Lantern, Mr. Twig, Mr. Poppy Head, Mr. Feather and Mrs. Mushroom) that are trying to save the last seed of their home tree from evil parasitic creatures that have infested their home.
- Mr. Lantern - The main protagonist of Botanicula. He is a small orange creature. He can absorb seeds within his body. It makes him glow and gives him power.
- Mrs. Mushroom - The second playable character. She is the only female member of group. She can create identical copies of herself. Another power that she has is to shrink.
- Mr. Poppyhead - The most robust member of the group and the third playable character.
- Mr. Twig - Another playable character. He resembles a twig. He has many arms that he can expand. He also has ability to spurt flowers.
- Mr. Feather - The last playable character. He is very small but can fly.
- Spiders - Antagonists in the game. They attacked the tree that is the home of main characters.
Like the previous games from Amanita Design, in Botanicula the player controls a protagonist (or multiple protagonists) while exploring the environment, solving puzzles and collecting items that are required for the obstacles that come in their way. The player is able to interact with other creatures and find easter eggs that are present in the lush environment.
Botanicula won the 14th annual award in 'Excellence in Audio' at Independent Games Festival 2012. The game was also a showcased nominee and received the Story/World Design award at IndieCade (the International Festival of Independent Games) in 2012. Botanicula also in European Games Award 2012 in category Best European Adventure Game.
Botanicula was elected in Booom competition to be the Best Czech video game of 2012. The game also appeared on Anifest where it was awarded for artistic contribution to Czech video game output in 2012.
The game received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics. It was praised for its music and visuals, as well as gameplay. However, other reviews noted a lack of replay value.
- "News: Daedalic to publish Amanita’s Botanicula throughout Europe". Daedalic.de. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula – Amanita Design". Amanita-design.net. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula Official Trailer and Release Date". Amanita-design.net. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "IGF Factor 2012: Botanicula". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. February 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "The Humble Botanicula Debut (pay what you want and help charity". April 20, 2012.
- "Hands On: Botanicula". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. December 6, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "14th annual IGF announces winners". Independent Games Festival. March, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "IndieCade 2012 Award Winners-The Complete List". indiegamereviewer.com. October, 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "European Games Award". European Games Award. 2011-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "– Výsledky". Booom.cz. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Česká hra roku 2012". Ceskahraroku.cz. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula for PC Reviews". Metacritic. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula for PC". GameRankings. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula for Linux (2012)". MobyGames. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula - recenze, hodnocení". Hodnoceniher.cz. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula Review". IGN. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula Review". GameSpot.com. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula - recenze - GAMES.cz". Games.tiscali.cz. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2013-08-17.