Botany Downs Secondary College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
|Botany Downs Secondary College|
|575 Chapel Road
|Motto||"Maximising achievement through intellectual growth"|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||6930|
|School roll||1817 (July 2014)|
Botany Downs Secondary College is a state coeducational secondary school located in the Auckland, New Zealand, suburb of Botany Downs. The school opened at the beginning of the 2004 school year to serve new residential development in the eastern Auckland area and to relieve other secondary schools in the area. Serving Years 9 to 13, the school has a roll of 1817 students.
The logo design uses the circles of the Beta and Delta characters from the Greek alphabet.
- The inner circle represents the student.
- The outer circle represents the nurturing and educating by the teacher.
- The overlapping circles echo the traditional role of the educator and the student.
- The outer shape links the circles, envelops the whole school community and is pointing towards the future.
The Whanau system in BDSC is designed to create a 'family' atmosphere; a "home away from home". It encourages a sense of a community based learning environment. There were previously 4 Whanau, with the late addition of Britten and Koru.
- Koru Whanau (Green)
- John Britten Whanau (Black)
- Spirit Whanau (Purple)
- Discovery Whanau (Blue)
- Endeavor Whanau (Yellow)
- Sir Peter Blake Whanau (Red)
Information & Communication Technology (ICT)
At Botany Downs Secondary College ICT is an integral part of the life of the school, for the teaching and learning programmes, administration and communication with our parent community. Training is ongoing for all staff and students to make the most of the developing technologies. Students have individual access to the network, with copy and print capabilities.
All classrooms in the College are connected to the school network. Staff have both cable and wireless access to the network to enable staff to move freely, creating truly flexible learning areas. Access to the Learning Management System(LMS), the college intranet, gives students and staff access to learning resources and school information from within the college and from home e.g. lesson handouts, powerpoint presentations, assessment calendar and assignments.
A feature of each Whanau is the IT pod situated on the ground floor. Each computer pod has 12 computers, in addition to the computers in the general classrooms, and the Study Centre. The second floor specialist areas have 12 computers in the Breakout area. Interactive Whiteboards and data projectors add a new dimension to curriculum delivery in the classroom.The school's Daily Notices are streamed into and displayed on plasma screens in each Whanau Commons.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 30 July 2014". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Botany Downs Secondary College official site
- Education Review Report of Botany Downs Secondary College 2009
- Botany downs Secondary College at New Zealand Educated