|• Total||222.32 km2 (85.84 sq mi)|
|• Land||194.17 km2 (74.97 sq mi)|
|• Water||28.15 km2 (10.87 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2014)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
In 1971 Grödinge was merged with Botkyrka and in 1974 Salem was added. The Salem part was already in 1983 split off again and a new Salem Municipality was formed.
The municipality is named after Saint Botvid, a Christian missionary during the 12th century. Saint Botvid is shown on the seal and coat of arms of Botkyrka Municipality, where he carries an axe and a fish. Another remnant of Botkyrka's Christian medieval history is the Botkyrka church, made of stone.
Botkyrka, particularly Northern Botkyrka, has one of the highest percentages of first and second generation immigrants in Sweden. Nearly half the population has at least one parent born in another country. In some areas, like Fittja, 64.5% belong to this group, of which 25.7% is of a foreign nationality. This gives the municipality a multi-cultural atmosphere with for example a big Syriac Orthodox Church in Hallunda and a mosque in Fittja.
Politically the municipality is primarily Social Democratic, that has governed Botkyrka for a long period except 3 years in the early 1990th. However with less seats the party now governs together with The Green Party, and The Left Party. There have also been several local parties. For a long period a local party called Botkyrkapartiet (The Botkyrka Party) has held several seats. A party was also active from mid 1980th to mid 1990th with only one purpose - to prevent the exploitation of the small airfield, F18, in Tullinge to become a commercial airport in the 1980s. In the election 2010 a local party for the area of Tullinge got 6 seats on the agenda of separating Tullinge from Botkyrka as a separate municipality.
Botkyrka has two local, weekly, newspapers called "Mitt i Botkyrka"(Middle of Botkyrka) and "Södra Sidan"(South side). They are delivered free of charge to all households.
The northern and eastern parts of the municipality are in the contiguous Stockholm urban area. Tumba forms a locality (tätort) of its own (which partly is in Salem Municipality). Vårsta is in the central part. The southern half of the municipality is mostly rural.
Botkyrka is a municipal with several world famous companies.
- Alfa Laval The company is a leading producer of specialized products and solutions used to heat, cool, separate and transport such products as oil, water, chemicals, beverages, foodstuffs, starch and pharmaceuticals. The company also owns significant land in Botkyrka used for development of its agricultural division.
- DeLaval The company is a leading producer of dairy and farming machinery.
- Tumba Bruk The company produces banknotes.
Notably, Lars Magnus Ericsson who founded the LM Ericsson company (now known as Ericsson) also had properties in Botkyrka, including Hågelby gård which today is used for conferences and as an excursion place with gardens, animals, stone age village and more.
The following sports clubs are located in Botkyrka:
- Arameiska-Syrianska Botkyrka IF
- Konyaspor KIF
- Assyriska Botkyrka FF
- IFK Tumba FK
- Arameiska-Syrianska Botkyrka IF
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved March 2015.
- Educational and statistics office Stockholm - Area statistics for Fittja