Boulder Creek, California
|Boulder Creek, California|
|Santa Cruz County and the state of California|
|• Total||7.512 sq mi (19.455 km2)|
|• Land||7.512 sq mi (19.455 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||479 ft (146 m)|
|• Density||660/sq mi (250/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0277478|
Boulder Creek served as the upper terminus of the San Lorenzo Valley Logging Flume terminating in Felton, which began construction in 1874 and when formally opened in October 1875 was augmented by a new rail line to transport logs to the wharf in Santa Cruz.
Boulder Creek is located at .(37.125, -122.125)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 7.5 square miles (19 km2).
2010 Census data
The 2010 United States Census reported that Boulder Creek had a population of 4,923. The population density was 655.4 people per square mile (253.0/km²). The racial makeup of Boulder Creek was 4,429 (90.0%) White, 54 (1.1%) African American, 31 (0.6%) Native American, 81 (1.6%) Asian, 5 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 119 (2.4%) from other races, and 204 (4.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 366 persons (7.4%).
The Census reported that 100% of the population lived in households.
There were 2,124 households, out of which 548 (25.8%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 997 (46.9%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 176 (8.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 97 (4.6%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 189 (8.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 29 (1.4%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 598 households (28.2%) were made up of individuals and 129 (6.1%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32. There were 1,270 families (59.8% of all households); the average family size was 2.80.
The population was spread out with 884 people (18.0%) under the age of 18, 319 people (6.5%) aged 18 to 24, 1,222 people (24.8%) aged 25 to 44, 2,066 people (42.0%) aged 45 to 64, and 432 people (8.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.4 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.3 males.
There were 2,455 housing units at an average density of 326.8 per square mile (126.2/km²), of which 71.6% were owner-occupied and 28.4% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.5%. 74.0% of the population lived in owner-occupied housing units and 26.0% lived in rental housing units.
2000 Census data
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,081 people, 1,630 households, and 1,025 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 963.3 people per square mile (371.6/km²). There were 1,829 housing units at an average density of 431.7 per square mile (166.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 90.25% White, 0.59% African American, 1.10% Native American, 1.72% Asian, 0.20% Pacific Islander, 2.18% from other races, and 3.97% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.68% of the population.
There were 1,630 households, of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 33.8% from 25 to 44, 28.7% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $60,455, and the median income for a family was $66,037. Males had a median income of $48,125 versus $40,197 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $32,012. About 1.9% of families and 8.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.9% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
Many people who reside within Santa Cruz County near Boulder Creek (including the communities of Forest Park, Forest Springs, Big Basin, Wildwood, Redwood Grove, Riverside Grove, San Lorenzo Park and Bear Creek) consider themselves to be Boulder Creek residents.
Boulder Creek is also the gateway town to Big Basin Redwoods State Park, which is California's oldest State Park, founded in 1902.
There is currently an election in progress for District Supervisor between Democrat Eric Hammer and Republican-Independent Bruce McPherson.
Notable people and organizations
- U.S. Census
- "Sheriffs of Santa Clara". Sheriff Lauri Smith.
- The San Lorenzo Valley, p. 20. Acadia Publishing, Charleston, SC.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "California's 18th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC.
- Welcome to Boulder-Creek.com - Your Gateway Town to the San Lorenzo Valley
- Boulder Creek Insider - Community blog - Commentary and Current Events