Internationaler Naturpark Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen
|Internationaler Naturpark Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen|
|Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen International Nature Park|
|Location||Lower Saxony, Germany
|Nearest city||Twist, Germany|
The Internationaler Naturpark Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen (engl. Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen International Nature Park) is a nature reserve in the west of the German state Lower Saxony as well as in the North-East of the Netherlands. Mostly this nature reserve is spread out over the German counties Emsland, Grafschaft Bentheim and the Dutch province Drenthe. The landscape within the nature park is formed by big peat areas, heather, small lakes and a very low population density.
The Bourtanger Moor-Bargerveen International Nature Park was founded on June 1, 2006. The German part of this nature reserve has a size of around 140 km2 (54 sq mi). Originally the German part called Bourtanger Moor had a size of 3,000 km2 (1,200 sq mi) and shows that nowadays the remaining part covers just a small area of its former dimension.
The nature reserve is the home of several special plants like Common Cottongrass and Drosera and endangered animals like the viviparous lizard, Grass Snake, Short-eared Owl and European Nightjar can be found in this reserve.
The Dutch part called Bargerveen has a size of 2,600 ha (6,400 acres) and is mainly formed by bog. This Dutch part of the nature reserve was already founded in 1992 at that time named Natuurreservaat Bargerveen.
- "Bourtanger Moor Barger Veen Nature Park". protectedplanet.net.
- http://www.naturpark-moor.eu (German)
- http://www.umwelt.niedersachsen.de/master/C24290611_N24290672_L20_D0_I598.html (German)
- http://www.umwelt.niedersachsen.de (German)
- http://www.erdoel-erdgas-museum-twist.de (German)
- http://www.moormuseum.de (German)
- http://www.bentheimer-landschaf.de/schutzgebiete.html (German)
- http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/ontdek/bijzonderenatuurgebieden/details.asp?LOC_ID=36 (Dutch)
|This article related to a protected area in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|