Bowen High School (Chicago)
|Bowen High School|
|2710 E. 89th Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60617
|School type||Public Secondary|
|Motto||"Education stops, Not at the close of a book, But at the end of one's life."|
|Established||1876; present building opened in 1910|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Jennifer L. Kirmes|
|Enrollment||497 (2013) |
|Team name||Bowen Boilermakers|
James H. Bowen High School (known as Bowen High School) is a public 4-year high school located in the South Chicago neighborhood on the far south side of Chicago, Illinois. It is operated by the Chicago Public Schools district. Founded in 1876 as an elementary school, Bowen was named for a man known as "the father of South Chicago", James H. Bowen. Before the school moved to its present location, it was located on Houston Avenue. Over time, that building began to serve high schoolers as well as younger students. The present building was designed by Dwight Perkins. By the 1930s, Bowen's student body had grown to 4,600 due to the growing population of immagrants of Polish and Slavic desent in the South Chicago area. From 1993 until 2011, Bowen was divided into four smaller schools. Today, the smaller schools have been re-consolidated back into one school.
Notable Alumni 
- Phil Collins, former MLB player (Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals)
- Andrew Davis, film director.
- Eli Grba, former baseball player who pitched in the 1960 World Series as a member of the New York Yankees.
- Billy Holm, former MLB player (Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox)
- Joni James, MGM Records star who sold more than 100 million singles and albums worldwide beginning in 1952, four years after graduating from Bowen.
- Gene Krupa, drummer.
- Tony Piet, baseball player
- Ed Schwartz, radio host who worked at WIND, WGN, and WLUP in Chicago.
- Marc Smith, creator of slam poetry.
- Ed Winceniak, former MLB player (Chicago Cubs)
- "Chicago Public Schools: New Millennium". Chicago Public Schools.
- CELEBRATING BOWEN HIGH SCHOOL'S 100th ANNIVERSARY
- Bowen High School
- "Learn more about Bowen High School". Bowen High School.
- You Can't Steal a Gift: Dizzy, Clark, Milt, and Nat
- "Chicago Public Schools Alumni-Journalists & Media Personalities-Eddie Schwartz". Chicago Public Schools. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|