Bowie High School (Maryland)
|Bowie High School|
|15200 Annapolis Rd
|Type||Public High School|
|School district||Prince George's County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Red and White|
Bowie High School was built in 1965. It shares the same layout as Laurel High School, in neighboring Laurel, Maryland.
Bowie High School has the second highest student SAT average in Prince George's County, and is rated second on The Washington Post's Advanced Placement Challenge Index. Bowie High School is also affiliated with FIRST Robotics, having competed 4 years. Bowie High is also among the top 5 percent of U.S. high schools for AP participation.
- Alessandro Battilocchio, Italian politician
- Michael Beasley, NBA basketball player
- Eva Cassidy, vocalist and musician
- JC Chasez, singer-songwriter
- Kathie Lee Gifford, entertainer
- Todd and Andy Hicks, Pro soccer players
- Paul Reed Smith, owner of PRS Guitars.
- Erik Imler, Olympic and Pro soccer player
- Mark Jonas, Pro soccer player
- John Kaleo, Arena Football League quarterback
- Brad Schumacher, Olympic gold-medal swimmer and water polo Olympian
- Gregg Karukas, Smooth Jazz pianist and keyboardist, 2013 Grammy Winner for "Best New Age Album"
Drinking and drunk driving
Bowie High School has historically had a high rate of drinking and gained national attention. In 1986, the school initiated programs to curb drunk driving after 15 students were killed in 1979 and 1980. In 1986 another three were killed in a drunk driving accident on the Capital Beltway.
- "Bowie High School". Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Andrea Noble. "Comptroller visits Bowie High". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Jonathan F. Keiler (2007-01-28). "The Washington Post – Innovation That Already Works". Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- PSE. "The Socialist Group in the European Parliament". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Ryan Mink. "Dematha’s David Adkins Works Out Michael Beasley Before NBA Draft". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Richard Harrington. "The Washington Post: Echoes of a Voice Stilled Too Early". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Delina D. Pryce. "Ex-Bowie resident on cover of TV Guide". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- George Rush and Joanna Molloy (1996-05-13). "Daily News: Kathie Lee’s High-School Class Struggle". New York. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Ted Black. "Former county soccer stars get drafted by MISL squads". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Virginia, Terhune (January 3, 2013). "Bowie High grad, guitar maker and band perform at scholarship fundraiser Saturday". Gazette.Net. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Levine, David (July 2, 1987). "Rewards Coming to Imler". Retrieved 2009-02-21.[dead link]
- Hughes, Frank (September 11, 1992). "The Washington Post: Bowie’s Jonas Risks Eligibility". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Towson University Athletics. "Towson Tigers". Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Ted Black. "New coaches off to solid starts". Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- Joe Aiello. "Bowie native scores a grammy". Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- Rusche, Sue (1 November 1986). "Enforce Underage Drinking Law". Gainesville Sun. Retrieved 8 April 2013.