Bowl Challenge Cup
|Bowl Challenge Cup|
|Awarded for||Best college football bowl record among Division I Football Bowl Subdivision conferences.|
|Currently held by||Southeastern Conference|
The Bowl Challenge Cup was created by ESPN in 2002 as a competition among the conferences in the NCAA's Division I-A, now called the Football Bowl Subdivision, to see which one was the best in the college football bowl games that take place. The competition has been used as a gauge to compare which conference has done the best in the post-season bowl matchups.
Originally sponsored by Cooper Tire, ESPN no longer has a sponsor for the Bowl Challenge Cup. However, the network has continued to post the standings during college bowl games on ESPN and the Cup makes regular appearances during the bowl season.
The ten Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) conferences that compete in the Bowl Challenge Cup are:
- American Athletic Conference (formerly the Big East Conference)
- Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)
- Big Ten Conference
- Big 12 Conference
- Conference USA (C-USA)
- Mid-American Conference (MAC)
- Mountain West Conference (MWC)
- Pacific-12 Conference (Pac-12)
- Southeastern Conference (SEC)
- Sun Belt Conference
In order to qualify to win the trophy, a conference has to have the highest winning percentage with a minimum of three teams from that conference. Prior to 2014, the Sun Belt Conference had only two guaranteed bowl slots, the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and the GoDaddy.com Bowl and held contingency picks with several other bowls, and needed one other conference to be unable to fulfill their bowl obligations in order to qualify for the Cup. That all changed with the addition of the Camellia Bowl as they will now have the required three teams per conference.
(1) – Tied for 2005–06 championship
- Mountain West Posts Top Bowl Win Percentage Among FBS Subdivision Conferences
- "Cooper Tire's Ultimate Bowl Tour Invites Football Fans to Go for the Big Score" (Press release). PR Newswire. August 1, 2004. Retrieved December 30, 2013.
- Bowl Challenge Cup 2002-03
- 2007 Bowl Challenge Cup standings
- 2008 Bowl Challenge Cup Standings
- Mountain West wins Bowl Challenge Cup