Location within Papineau RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||June 27, 1913|
|• Mayor||Michel David|
|• Federal riding||Argenteuil—Papineau—Mirabel|
|• Prov. riding||Papineau|
|• Total||164.40 km2 (63.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||129.75 km2 (50.10 sq mi)|
|• Density||5.2/km2 (13/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||0.1%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0X 3C0|
The municipality is bordered to the east by the Du Lièvre River and by Whitefish Lake (lac du Poisson Blanc) in the north-west. Its terrain is characterized by several deep lakes (including Reservoir l'Escalier) in a hilly terrain with altitudes between 200 meters (660 ft) and 430 meters (1,410 ft).
Bowman Township was formed in 1861 and named after one of the first inhabitants of this place, Baxter Bowman, who operated a sawmill at Dufferin Chutes in Buckingham and was owner of a large tract of forest in the Outaouais in the late nineteenth century.
On 1 January 1885, Bowman was combined with Villeneuve Township to form the United Township Municipality of Bowman-et-Villeneuve. In 1913, the Township Municipality of Bowman was formed when the two townships separated (Villeneuve was renamed to Val-des-Bois in 1958), and in 1954, its statutes were amended again to become the Municipality of Bowman.
Bowman was affected by the 2010 Central Canada earthquake and suffered some damage to a 50 metre wide area of land near a bridge. Traffic on Route 307 was diverted while Transport Canada assessed the damage. There were no fatalities.
- Population in 2011: 677 (2006 to 2011 population change: 0.1%)
- Population in 2006: 676
- Population in 2001: 563
- Population in 1996: 516
- Population in 1991: 481
Private dwellings (occupied by usual residents): 302
- English as first language: 7%
- French as first language: 88%
- English and French as first language: 2%
- Other as first language: 3%
- Reference number 7930 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 80145 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- "(Code 2480145) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "Bowman (canton)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census