New logo introduced in 2014
|Launched||14 July 2011|
|Owned by||Boxing Channel Media|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9),
|Slogan||The new home of Boxing|
|Country||United Kingdom, Ireland|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom, Ireland|
|Sky||Channel 437 (SD)
Channel 449 (HD)
|Virgin Media||Channel 546|
|LiveSport.tv||BoxNation at LiveSport|
BoxNation is a 24 hour dedicated boxing subscription channel, operated by Boxing Channel Media and promoter Frank Warren, available in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It currently costs £10 (€12.50) a month to access the channel with an additional £10 (€12.50) registration fee added to the first payment.
BoxNation was launched as a free-to-air service on the Sky platform on channel 456, moving to 437 in July 2012. The channel soft launched on 14 July 2011, airing two hours of classic fights per day from Frank Warren Promotions. The channel fully launched on 30 September 2011, broadcasting live fights, magazine programmes and footage of classic fights from boxing legends including Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson.
In 2013 BoxNation made the app available to Android phone users.
In 2014 BoxNation made the switch to high definition exclusively on the Sky platform broadcasting from 15th February on channel 449.
Presenters and commentators
BoxNation features live cards with domestic and international fights, classic match footage, magazine shows and interviews with current and former fighters. The channel has already broadcast over 70 live world title fights featuring Floyd Mayweather Jnr, Vitali Klitschko, Nathan Cleverly, Amir Khan, Miguel Cotto, Dereck Chisora, and Bernard Hopkins amongst many others
Steve Bunce also hosts the weekly show "Boxing Hour" every Monday night. Bunce had formerly hosted a show with the same name and format on Setanta Sports where it gained popularity and acclaim amongst boxing fans leading to the launch of the "Bring Back Bunce" campaign after the collapse of Setanta Sports in Great Britain.
In October 2013, BoxNation announced that they would show the entire Golden Boy on Fox Sports 1 series on a tape delay every Wednesday night at 7pm.
Switch to high definition
BoxNation currently broadcasts in standard definition on Sky channel 437 and in High Definition on Sky channel 449
Haye v Chisora and co-promotion
On 8 May 2012, it was announced the BoxNation would co-promote and air the all-British heavyweight clash between David Haye and Dereck Chisora. The fight took place at The Boleyn Ground, more commonly known as Upton Park on 14 July 2012.
Billed as Haye v Chisora: Licensed to Thrill, the fight has received criticism from several quarters and is being licensed by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation after the British Boxing Board of Control refused to authorise the fight. This is due, in part, to the press conference clash between Haye and Chisora in February in the aftermath of Chisora's defeat to Vitali Klitschko. During the course of the fight weekend, Chisora also slapped his opponent in the face at the weigh-in and spat water in the face of Vitali's brother, Wladimir in the ring preceding the fight. This trio of incidents led the BBBofC to withdraw Chisora's license to fight "indefinitely", while Haye had previously retired and therefore escaped censure.
- "Boxnation". Ofcom. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Box Nation". Boxnation. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- Davies, Gareth. "Frank Warren launches BoxNation, a new fight sports channel on Sky". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Glicksman, Gavin. "BoxNation TV channel launches". Thesun.co.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Liam Walsh retains title despite Paul Appleby knockdown". BBC.co.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Laughlin, Andrew. "BoxNation to launch on Virgin Media". Digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Dooley, Terence. "Sky, BoxNation Deliver a Bumper Month to UK Fight Fans". Boxingscene.com. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Richard Keys returns to TV with BoxNation". Touchline.tv. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Bring Back Steve Bunce's Boxing Hour!". Boxingcapital.com. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Mason, Rowena; Matthew Moore. "Setanta collapse leaves millions of sports fans in dark". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "BoxNation to show Charlo v Rodriguez on Fox show at 7pm this Wednesday". Boxnation.com. Boxnation.com. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "David Haye and Dereck Chisora to fight at Upton Park". bbc.co.uk. The BBC. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Haye-Chisora: Luxembourg Boxing Federation sanctions fight". bbc.co.uk. The BBC. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Davies, Gareth A. "David Haye promises to inflict a "slow, concussive beating" on Dereck Chisora as Upton Park grudge fight confirmed". Telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Dereck Chisora has boxing licence withdrawn by British authority". bbc.co.uk. The BBC. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "David Haye vs. Dereck Chisora | Licensed to Thrill". BoxNation.com. BoxNation.com. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "British boxing chiefs urged to 'stop intimidating members' in Haye-Chisora row". dailymail.co.uk. The Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 July 2012.