Box Hill railway station, Melbourne
Entrance from Centro Box Hill taken in July 2004
|Location||Station Street, Box Hill|
|Distance||16.16 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 December 1882|
Box Hill railway station is located on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Box Hill opening on 1 December 1882. It is located beneath the Box Hill Central Shopping Centre. In is the only Melbourne metropolitan station to be located underground besides those forming the City Loop. In 2011/12 it was the 8th busiest station in Melbourne's metropolitan network, with 2.7 million passenger movements.
At the time, Box Hill was a separate town, with several hundred residents. In 1895, a large market was opened next to the station. On 19 December 1922, the section from Flinders Street to Box Hill was electrified, and this was continued to Ringwood the following month.
In early 1983 the current station was built to eliminate the level crossing at Station Street. Box Hill Central Shopping Centre and the bus terminal above it were built over the top of the station. This was completed in 1985. Platform 1 was used between 24 April 1983 and 9 June 1984 while the current station was being built, and has been retained for possible future use. The platform has no track or lighting, with a McDonalds Restaurant since opened over the ramp from the station concourse.
During January 2007 the line was closed between Box Hill and Blackburn to facilitate grade separation works at the nearby Middleborough Road level crossing. Buses were operated between the two stations for the duration, and to cater for this a temporary bus interchange was constructed at Box Hill. The interchange was built directly on top of the tracks, which had been paved between the rails, to the east of the station, and was connected to platforms 2 and 3 by a raised walkway. With the completion of the project's major works at the end of January 2007, the bus interchange was removed.
Platforms & services
- Lilydale line: services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: services to Belgrave
A sheltered fourteen bay bus terminus is located two levels above the station or on the rooftop of Box Hill Central Shopping Centre. The terminus serves 20 bus routes.
Buses from Box Hill Station
- 271: Ringwood station via Park Orchards
- 279: Westfield Doncaster or Templestowe Shops via Middleborough Road
- 284: Doncaster Park & Ride via Union Road
- 281: to Templestowe
- 293: Greensborough via Westfield Doncaster
- 302: City via Belmore Road, Eastern Freeway
- 270: Mitcham station via Blackburn North
- 765: Mitcham station via Brentford Square, Forest Hill Chase Shopping Centre, Blackburn station
- 766: Burwood station via Surrey Hills station
- 281: to Deakin University
- 767: Westfield Southland via Hughesdale station, Chadstone Shopping Centre, Jordanville station, Deakin University
- 768: Deakin University via Canterbury Rd
Yarra Trams operates one route from Box Hill:
- Mont Albert Vicsig
- Station Patronage Research Public Transport Victoria
- Middleborough Road project Vicsig
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Heistorical Society): page 310. October 1997.
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 903 Altona - Mordialloc timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 109 Box Hill - Port Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to Box Hill railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons