Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number!
|Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number!|
Theatrical release poster.
|Directed by||George Marshall|
|Produced by||Edward Small|
|Written by||George Kennett
Albert E. Lewin
|Music by||William "By" Dunham
|Edward Small Productions|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release date(s)||June 8, 1966|
|Running time||99 min|
|Box office||$4.3 million (est. US/ Canada rentals)|
A gorgeous French actress named Didi (Elke Sommer) has become more famous for commercials involving bubble baths than for acting. Fed up with the situation, she winds up running away for a while to Oregon, where she encounters a middle-aged married realtor (Bob Hope) who quickly becomes extremely anxious to explore their acquaintance further.
With Bob Hope's film career on the downswing by the '60s, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! was critically panned and compared to a "90-minute TV sitcom". The critic for the New York Times drew parallels with Up in Mabel's Room which Edward Small had made twenty years previously. Reviews were poor. However it performed well at the box office. Years later, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! was included as one of the choices in the book The Fifty Worst Films of All Time.
- "Big Rental Pictures of 1966", Variety, 4 January 1967 p 8
- Star of 'Luv' Called Genius Hopper, Hedda. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 02 Aug 1965: d17.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: Train Wreck Derails Film Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 11 Aug 1965: d12.
- 'Wrong Number' Starts Diller in Films Clifford, Terry. Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file) [Chicago, Ill] 01 May 1966: g15.
- Bob Hope: More Than A Gagster?: Bob Hope: More Than A Gagster? By JEFFREY COUCHMAN. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 06 May 1979: 85.
- Bob Hope and 'A Wrong Number' New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 09 June 1966: 52
- lke Sommer, Gags Bubble in Hope's 'Wrong Number' Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 15 June 1966: d14.
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at the Internet Movie Database
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at AllMovie
- Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! at the TCM Movie Database
|This film article about a 1960s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|