At Werk II, Leipzig, Germany, November 2010
Boy is a Swiss/German pop duo founded in 2007 by singer Valeska Steiner (Swiss) and bassist Sonja Glass (German). The two met while at a pop-music course at the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg in 2005. The band initially played concerts exclusively, before being discovered and signed to Herbert Grönemeyer's label, Grönland Records, in 2011.
Their debut album, Mutual Friends (already Gold-certified in Germany), was produced by Philipp Steinke and released in the autumn of 2011. The band sings entirely in English in a style reminiscent of that of Leslie Feist.
The duo's song "Little Numbers" was also featured in the Lufthansa Airline's Business Class advertisement in mid-2012. In 2013 the Song was at No. 4 in the Japan Hot 100.
The duo's first-ever USA tour launched on March 1, 2013 at the sold-out Joe's Pub, New York City.
- 2011: Mutual Friends
- 2012: "Little Numbers"
- 2012: "Waitress"
- 2012: "Drive Darling"
- 2013: "This is the Beginning"
- "Mutual Friends". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Collar, Matt. BOY: Mutual Friends > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- The New Zürcher Zeitung October 13th, 2011: Der Musik die nötige Zeit lassen (in German)
- Schweizer Illustrierte: «Bei Herbert Grönemeyer geht's familiär zu» (in German)
- musikmarkt May 6, 2011: Grönland Records angelt sich Boy (in German)
- Züritipp: Kein Kind von Traurigkeit (in German)
- "Boy To Release Mutual Friends In North America".
- http://www.europeanborderbreakersawards.eu/content/boy European Border Breakers Award: Boy feature
- eurosonic-noorderslag.nl Eurosonic Noorderslag feature: Boy