|Origin||Newark, Delaware, United States|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, emo, melodic hardcore|
|Years active||1994-2007, 2010-present|
|Labels||Burning Heart, Wind-up, EVR|
|Past members||Rob Avery
BoySetsFire is a post-hardcore band from Newark, Delaware that formed in October 1994. BoySetsFire is composed of guitarists Chad Istvan and Josh Latshaw, vocalist Nathan Gray, and bassists Chris Rakus and Robert Ehrenbrand.
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (June 2010)|
Boysetsfire released its first demo albums in late 1994 and early 1995. In 1996 the band released its first EP, This Crying, This Screaming, My Voice Is Being Born. It has released records through Magic Bullet, Conquer the World, Deathwish Inc, Initial, Hydra Head, Victory, Wind-Up, Equal Vision and Burning Heart. They have released split EPs with Coalesce, Shai Hulud, and Snapcase.
In 1997 they signed a contract with Initial Records, and recorded their first full-length album, The day the sun went out.
In 1999 the second full length album After the Eulogy was recorded, and Boysetsfire went on tour with Snapcase, as well as on Vans Warped tour. Their old bassist was replaced by Rob Avery. After being signed to Victory Records, the band moved to Wind-up, an independent label distributed by Sony in the US. Tomorrow come today was then released in 2003. After a dispute with Wind-up and the following conflict, the band moved to indie label Burning Heart.
In 2005 the band signed to the independent record labels Burning Heart Records for worldwide distribution and Equal Vision Records for North American distribution. It released The Misery Index: Notes from the Plague Years in March 2006.
On July 31, 2006, the band informed the fans about its retirement through their official website. There was a farewell European tour in late summer; however, guitarist Josh Latshaw severely injured himself prior to its start. As a result, the band played those shows with roadie Chris "The Reverend" Rakus at the guitar instead, but returned to Europe in May 2007 to give Latshaw the chance to say goodbye to the European fans.
The band's final performance took place on June 9, 2007 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the Trocadero Theatre. A DVD has been released of this show in its entirety as well as parts of the final European tour.
On February 12, 2007, lead vocalist Nathan Gray announced that he was forming a new band by the name of The Casting Out. While the band includes several former members of Boysetsfire, Gray informed fans that it would not be another political band.
Drummer Matt Krupanski went on to form a new band as well. The band Young Lady included future BoySetsFire bassist, Marc Krupanski (formerly of Dear Tonight, Midvale, Eldritch Anisette, Dorian Gray and Network 34) as well as two other Delaware natives, including members from Joshua Fit for Battle.
One of their songs, "Handful of Redemption", is featured on the video games Tiger Woods '03 and MVP Baseball '03 by EA Sports. Their song "Rookie" from the After the Eulogy album was featured on the Legends of Wrestling video game. "Rookie" from After the Eulogy and "Handful of Redemption" from the Tomorrow Come Today album were also featured in the video game 1080° Avalanche. Additionally, their song "High Wire Escape Artist" is featured on the soundtrack to The Daredevil motion picture. The soundtrack record, released by Wind-up Records, is the band's first and only gold record.
In November 2011, via the band's official Facebook page, the band announced Robert Ehrenbrand had left the band. The band then announced that Marc Krupanski (from a number of former bands, such as "Dear Tonight", "Midvale", and "Eldritch Anisette") officially joined as the new bassist. The band recorded 5 new songs in the summer of 2012 with two of them scheduled to be released on Magic Bullet Records as a vinyl 7" record.
In December 2012 via the bands official Facebook page, it was announced that both Matt and Marc Krupanski had left the band. A few days later, it was announced that Chris Rakus and Robert Ehrenbrand would share bass player duties.
BoySetsFire announced their reunion on their website and official Facebook-page on October 5, 2010. Tour venues were Berlin, the Groezrock Festival in Belgium, the Studio at Webster Hall and the Nova Rock Festival in Nickelsdorf, Austria. In August 2011, they played in the UK at the Reading & Leeds Festival. In 2012, four shows in total were played, two in January 2012 (one in their hometown of Newark, Delaware and the other in West Chester, Pennsylvania), one in Boston, one in Providence and at The Bamboozle Festival in Asbury Park, New Jersey in May 2012. They conducted a three-week tour in July–August 2012 in Europe.
In June 2013, the band released its fifth album, While a Nation Sleeps.... It was well-received, especially in the German album charts where it reached #22. A European Tour was carried out in June and July 2013, including concerts at Hurricane and Southside Festival, with additional shows being played in Dortmund, Stuttgart and Hamburg in October 2013. In November and December 2013, the band toured Australia and in April 2014 gave concerts in the UK. The band returned to Europe for summer and in celebration of its 20th anniversary, announced shows in Hamburg, Cologne, Berlin and Vienna in October 2014.
- Nathan Gray - lead vocals, keyboard (1994–present)
- Josh Latshaw - guitar, backing vocals (1994–present)
- Chad Istvan - guitar, backing vocals (1994–present)
- Robert Ehrenbrand - bass guitar (2004–2011, 2013–present)
- Chris Rakus - bass guitar (2013–present)
- Darrell Hyde - bass guitar (1994–1999)
- Rob Avery - bass guitar (1999–2004)
- Marc Krupanski - bass guitar (2011–2013)
- Matt Krupanski - drums (1994–2013)
- 1997: The Day the Sun Went Out CD/LP
- 2000: After the Eulogy CD/CS/LP
- 2003: Tomorrow Come Today CD/DVD
- 2006: The Misery Index: Notes from the Plague Years CD/DVD
- 2013: While a Nation Sleeps...
- 1994: Boysetsfire
- 1995: Premonition, Change, Revolt
- 1996: Consider
- 1996: This Crying, This Screaming, My Voice Is Being Born
- 1998: In Chrysalis
- 1999: Snapcase vs. Boysetsfire (split)
- 2000: Crush 'Em All Vol. 1 (Boysetsfire/Shai Hulud split)
- 2000: Coalesce / Boysetsfire (split)
- 2001: Suckerpunch Training
- 2013: Bled Dry
- 2014: Split 7" (Boysetsfire/Funeral For A Friend)
- 1997: For the Kids (7" benefit compilation, including an earlier version of BSF song "With Cold Eyes". Other bands include "The Weak Link Breaks", "By the Grace of God" and "Dorian Gray" which featured other Delaware natives including future members of Boysetsfire, Rob Avery and Marc Krupanski. Released by Diffusion Records)
- 2003: Daredevil: The Album (soundtrack to the original motion picture, LP)
- 2005: Before the Eulogy (B-sides and rarities CD)
Live albums and EPs
- 2002: Live for Today (EP)
- 2009: Farewell Show (DVD)
- 2003: Last Year's Nest
- 2005: Dear George
- 2006: Requiem
- 2013: Bled Dry
- 2013: Closure
- 2013: Never Said
- Official site news
- "WHILE A NATION SLEEPS..." REACHED NO. 22 OF THE GERMAN ALBUM CHARTS!
- Boysetsfire Tour Dates
- "20TH ANNIVERSARY EUROPEAN TOUR OCTOBER 2014". boysetsfire.org. 2014-05-27. Retrieved 2014-10-05.