Boyd & Blair
|Manufacturer||Pennsylvania Pure Distilleries|
|Country of origin||Glenshaw, Pennsylvania|
|Introduced||2010 in USA|
|Related products||List of vodkas|
Boyd & Blair is a brand of vodka distilled in Glenshaw, Pennsylvania by Pennsylvania Pure Distilleries, LLC. This small-batch vodka is made from Pennsylvania potatoes using a "think-local" philosophy. The potatoes used are grown in Pennsylvania's Somerset, Butler, and Schuylkill Counties. The distillery is located in the former Glenshaw Glass works in Shaler Township, Pennsylvania
The company is run by two men: Prentiss Orr was a marketing consultant who worked for the South Side's Outlook Advertising Agency and previously served as vice president of the Greater Pittsburgh Area Chamber of Commerce; Barry Young was a former president and CEO of RX Partners, an affiliate of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Health System. Orr is chairman and Young is president and CEO. They were inspired by the micro-brew phase of the 1990s.
The beginning of the company began in 2005 when Orr and Young first discussed the idea of opening a distillery. The company, Pennsylvania Pure Distilleries, LLC, got started with $1 million in private investment and a $165,000 state grant from the First Industries Fund through the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
By 2010 it was available in Ohio, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Illinois, and California. In 2011, Pennsylvania Pure Distilleries struck a deal with The Country Vintner to distribute Boyd & Blair in Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia and Florida. In March 2012, a deal was struck with Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to make it available in Pennsylvania state liquor stores.
In June 2011, Spirit Journal ranked Boyd & Blair the 22nd-ranked liquor on the planet and the highest-ranked vodka on the list. The acclaim was noted by The New Yorker. In March 2012, the specialty version of Boyd & Blair, 151 Professional Proof, was given 5 Stars/Highest Recommendation by Spirit Journal.
- "Personality Test: Boyd & Blair's Barry Young". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. September 7, 2011.
- Loeffler, William (September 7, 2011). "Shaler boasts first local vodka distillery". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Toland, Bill (2012-03-16). "Spuds sprout into local vodka-making business". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Mendelson, Abby (May 11, 2010). "Cheers to Boyd and Blair: A Story of Love and Vodka". Pop City Media.
- Karlovits, Bob (November 10, 2009). "Whiskey festival seeks to attract younger audience". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- "This Year, the Choice is Clear". GQ. December 2011.
- Schooley, Tim (February 3, 2011). "Pennsylvania Pure distilleries doubles territory for Boyd & Blair vodka". Pittsburgh Business Times.
- Tierney, Brian (June 2, 2011). "From Spud to Stud". Pittsburgh City Paper.
- Sytsma, Alan (6/7/11). "Is the World’s Best Vodka Made in ... Pittsburgh?". The New Yorker. Check date values in:
- "Boyd & Blair". Spirit Journal. Volume 22, Issue 1, No 93. March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boyd & Blair.|