Boyd H. Anderson High School
|Boyd H. Anderson High School|
|3050 NW 41st Street
Lauderdale Lakes, Florida, 33309
|School district||Broward County School District|
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
Boyd H. Anderson High School (also called "Boyd Anderson", or simply "B.A.", located in Lauderdale Lakes, Florida) is an urban high school in Broward County. Boyd H. Anderson serves Lauderdale Lakes, and parts of Tamarac, Oakland Park, Fort Lauderdale and Lauderhill.
The school is named after the third County Judge of Broward County, Boyd H. Anderson, Sr., who served from 1933 to 1968.
The school mascot is the cobra and the school colors are orange and black.
Boyd Anderson High School is the first public school in Broward County to contain an accredited International Baccalaureate diploma program as a magnet program. It gained this distinction in December 1985. In September 2005, it began offering the "Middle Years" program.
The school also has a Health and Wellness magnet program, headed by Mrs. Ashley Underhill. Also the school offers dual enrollment courses such as Enc101 Composition, Transportation,Safety
They are known for their track and field program, reaching 3 state championships in Track and Field (1995, 1997, 2000), 3 state championships in Cross Country (1992, 1996, 1998), and ranking #2 nationally in Track and Field (1998), and 18th in Cross Country. This was all achieved under former coach David Bowden. They won the 5A Basketball State Championship in 1994 under coach Mike Benanti.
Boyd Anderson also maintains several community service-based organizations including, but not limited to: Key Club (headed by Ms. Alina McCullen; President Kerri-Ann Chambers), Students Helping Achieve Philanthropic Excellence, Ladies of Distincton (both headed by Mrs. Yulanda C. Ellis; President Deja Boyd), Brother to Brother (headed by Mr. Basil Farrington; President Marc Platel), Sister to Sister (headed by Ms. LaShondra Taylor; President Shanika Hepburn), and Gentlemen of Distinction (headed by First Sergeant Dinkins; Founder/President Eddie Z. Oliver, Jr.).
In November 2009, Boyd Anderson opened the new multi-million dollar long-awaited cafeteria to students, faculty, and staff. The cafeteria came equipped with a teacher's lounge area, 8 LCD flat screen televisions, and new staff.
On April 4, 2009, 16 year old Boyd H. Anderson student Gregory Smith was shot and killed during a robbery outside the school.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 2130. The ethnic makeup of the school was 4% White, 84% Black, 12% Hispanic, 0% Asian or Pacific Islander, 0% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Don Blackmon former NFL Linebacker New England Patriots,
- Anthony Bell former Linebacker St. Louis Cardinals,
- Josh Bynes former Auburn University and current Baltimore Ravens linebacker
- David L. Cook, Emmy award winning Christian recording star and Comedian, Christian country music Entertainer and Comedian of the Year,
- Stephen Bier (aka Madonna Wayne Gacy), Keyboardist for Marilyn Manson
- Brandon Newton, NFL Offensive Lineman Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers,
- Todd Devoe, NFL Wide Receiver Denver Broncos,
- Abdul Hodge, NFL Linebacker Green Bay Packers,
- Mitch Richmond (former NBA basketball guard),
- Asante Samuel NFL Cornerback Atlanta Falcons,
- Benny Sapp, NFL Cornerback, Kansas City Chiefs,
- Richard Smith, former Wide Receiver, Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins,
- Scott Rothstein pleaded guilty to running a 1.2 Billion investment scam
- Shaun Bridgmohan, First Jamaican in the Kentucky derby