Boylan Catholic High School
|Boylan Catholic High School|
|4000 Saint Francis Drive
Rockford, Illinois, 61103
|Authority||Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford|
|Athletics conference||Northern Illinois Conference (NIC-10)|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Boylan Catholic High School is a private Catholic school located in the city of Rockford, Illinois, USA. Founded in 1960, Boylan is the only Catholic high school in Rockford, and has 1187 students at the start of the 2010-2011 school year. It is located in, and administered by, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford.
Boylan competes in the Northern Illinois Conference (NIC-10), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA); the association which governs most sports and competitive activities in the state. Boys teams are stylized as the Titans, while women's teams are stylized as the Lady Titans.
The school sponsors interscholastic teams for both young men and women in basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming & diving, soccer, tennis, and track & field. Men may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while young women may compete in cheerleading, softball, and volleyball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors a dance team for young women.
The following teams have won their respective IHSA sponsored state championship tournaments or meets:
- Football: 2011 IHSA 7A State Champions. 2010 IHSA 6A State Champions.
- Golf: 2013 IHSA 2A State Champions.
- Jodi Benson (1979) is an actress.
- Derek Dimke (2008) was an NFL kicker for Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Robert Greenblatt (1978) Chairman of NBC Entertainment.
- Damir Krupalija (1998) is a Bosnian professional basketball player.
- Dan Lindsay (1997) won an Academy Award in 2012 for his documentary Undefeated.
- Marin Mazzie (1978) is an actress and singer best known for her work musical theater.
- Joe Mantello (1980) is a two–time Tony Award winning director (Assassins, Take Me Out).
- Anthony Tyler Quinn (1980) is an actor.
- Jake Smolinski (2007), MLB outfielder, Texas Rangers
Clubs and Student Organizations
- Anime Club
- Bass Fishing Club
- Boylan Broadcasting Club (BBC)
- Boylan Book Club
- Chinese Club
- French Club
- German Club
- Green Club
- Italian Club
- Spanish Club
- Key Club
- Math Club/Team
- Debate Club
- Ping-Pong Club
- Poetry Club
- Pro-Life Club
- SARO Club
- Martial Arts Club
- Ukelele Club
- "Contact Information". Boylan Catholic High School. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Clubs and Student Organizations". directory. Boylan Catholic High School. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "IHSA School Directory". Illinois High School Association. 1 August 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Rockfrod (Boylan)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 22 December 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2009-07-28.[dead link]
- "IHSA School Directory". Illinois High School Association. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- Official website[dead link] - Boylan at a Glace
- "Athletics". Boylan Catholic High School. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "IHSA Season Summaries". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 16 November 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- Gass, Rachel; Lanis, Caitlin (7 May 2007), "Boylan Players Present "Crazy For You"", Titan Times (Boylan HS): 3, retrieved 3 January 2010,
Crazy For You opened on Broadway in 1992 with Boylan Alumna Jodi Benson playing the role of Polly.
- Braun, Georgette (31 January 2012). "A lot riding on 'Smash' for NBC exec and Boylan grad Robert Greenblatt". Rockford Register Star. GateHouse Media. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- Beck, John, ed. (12 June 2010). "Happy 31st, Damir Krupalija". The News-Gazette. Professional Impressions Media Group. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Baum, Geraldine (30 April 2009), "TV exec turns back the clock to stage '9 to 5': Taking the musical version of the film to Broadway, Showtime's Bob Greenblatt got more than a little help from his hometown friends.", Los Angeles Times, retrieved 3 January 2010,
It's one thing for Hollywood High to churn out Judy Garland, Sarah Jessica Parker and Laurence Fishburne. But Boylan Central Catholic High? In Rockford, Ill ... In the school auditorium, Greenblatt met a dark-eyed teenager playing Benny Southstreet in "Guys and Dolls," among other roles. That young actor, Joe Mantello, would later conquer Broadway as both an actor and director, and be hired to stage "9 to 5" (which opens tonight on Broadway) by Greenblatt, president of entertainment at Showtime Networks and a force behind someof the edgiest shows on television.
- "Jake Smolinski". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 10 July 2014.