Boys' High School & College (Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh)
|Boys' High School & College|
Mentem Hominis Spectato Non Frontem
("Do not judge a man by his face but by his deeds")
|Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Boys' High School & College, (BHS), is an independent school in Allahabad, India. It was founded in 1861 to provide a Christian education to the children of Europeans and Anglo-Indians, but has always accepted children from all backgrounds. Though originally co-educational, it now admits only boys. The school is well known for its high quality and in-depth education with its students getting into prestigious institutions like IITs, NITs, BITS, BHU, VIT, St. Stephen's College, Shri Ram College of Commerce, AIIMS and highly ranked universities in US, UK, Canada and Germany.
It has existed on its present site in central Allahabad since 1861. Since 1940 it has been managed by the Allahabad High School Society. It is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations.
Governor BL Joshi on 5 November 2013, Tuesday released a commemorative postage stamp to mark 150th anniversary of Boys' High School. The stamp was released by Department of India Posts, Ministry of Communications on the Founders' Day of the school on 5 November 2013.
- A B McFarlane (1890s)
- D.K. Kerrin
- Colonel William Edgar Andrews
- R.C. Dutt
- Rev. MacGowan
- Arthur Terence Flynn
- W.E. Andrews
- C.V. Innes
- Mr.David Luke (Present)
The school has a basketball court and an international standard boxing-ring and swimming pool.It participates in, and hosts "Alfresco", a district level annual inter-school competition.
- Amitabh Bachchan
- Ajit Gupta
- Vikas Swarup
- Arvind Krishna Mehrotra
- V. P. Singh
- Nitin Saxena
- Kunwar Rewati Raman Singh
- Lakshmi Raj Sharma
- Justice Najmi Waziri, Judge, High Court of Delhi
- Justice Markandey Katju,Supreme Court of India
- Ajay Raj Sharma, Police Commissioner of Delhi
- Schools affiliated to CISCE as on 31 July 2010
- "Governer releases postal stamp on Boys' High School". Hindustan Times (Lucknow: Allahabad Metro). 6 November 2013.
- The Daily Gleaner, Kingston, Jamaica, 1 March 1898 (p4)
- The Times of India, Allahabad, 28 October 2010, Article:Cultural Extravaganza Held at BHS
- External link
- Vikas Swarup's early life