Bracken (TV series)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Country of origin||Ireland|
|Original run||1 January 1978 – 1 January 1982|
Bracken is a television soap opera broadcast from 1978 to 1982 on RTÉ One in Ireland, depicting rural life in and around County Wicklow. Created and written by Wesley Burrowes, it starred Gabriel Byrne and Niall Tóibín.
The show is chiefly known for being the link between two long standing RTÉ series, in that Gabriel Byrne's character, Pat Barry, had first appeared in The Riordans, towards the end of that show's run. The characters of Dinny and Miley Byrne, played by Joe Lynch and Mick Lally, first appeared on this series, they were later to become the central stars of Glenroe. Each of the three series were created by Wesley Burrowes.
- Gabriel Byrne as Pat Barry
- Niall Tóibín as Edward Daly
- Joe Lynch as Dinny Byrne
- Sean Lawlor as Peter Thompson
- Mick Lally as Miley Byrne
- Fiona Victory as Louise Daly
- Dana Wynter as Jill Daly
- Jim Fitzgerald as Barney Kenny
- Meagher, John (24 January 2001). "A tale of two soaps". Irish Independent.