December 21, 1987 |
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bradley Kaipo Sarbida Tavares (born December 21, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the middleweight division for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Tavares fought in local promotions before competing on the UFC's The Ultimate Fighter 11 in 2010. As of March 17, 2014, he is #13 in official UFC middleweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Tavares started his MMA career in 2008 in his home state of Hawai'i, compiling a record of 5-0, with three technical knockouts and two submission wins. He originally started training with MMAD ran by the likes of Randy Leuder, Brandon Wolff (UFC), and Rob Hesia. He still returns home to Hawaii to train with MMAD/Gracie Technics when not training at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas. 
The Ultimate Fighter 11
In March 2010, Tavares was announced as part of the eleventh season of The Ultimate Fighter. In the elimination round, Tavares defeated Jordan Smith via KO (knee) after less than a minute. He was selected fifth by Team Liddell and tenth overall.
Tavares then defeated James Hammortree in the second preliminary fight. After two rounds, the fight was declared a draw and the fighters went to a third round. Tavares took control in the third round and was declared the winner, advancing him into the quarter finals.
In the quarter-finals, Tavares fought Seth Baczynski. As the first round ended, Baczynski threw an illegal soccer kick to the head of Tavares. Baczynski immediately apologized, knowing he could have seriously hurt Tavares, who went to his corner and slumped. After discussing the matter with the doctors, Herb Dean stopped the fight and Tavares was declared the winner by disqualification, advancing him to the semi-finals.
In the semi-finals, Tavares faced teammate Court McGee, for a place in the live final. After a fairly even first two rounds, Tavares was rocked late in the third. McGee then locked in a rear naked choke, handing Tavares his first loss.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
At The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale, Tavares had a rematch with Seth Baczynski. Tavares defeated Baczynski via unanimous decision.
Tavares was expected to face Tim Credeur on October 29, 2011 at UFC 137. However, Creduer was forced out of the bout and replaced by promotional newcomer Dustin Jacoby. Unfortunately, Tavares was pulled out of the newly made fight due to injury, setting up a fight between Jacoby and fellow UFC newcomer Clifford Starks.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||12 wins||1 loss|
|Yoel Romero||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||12–1||Lorenz Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||3||5:00||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||11–1||Robert McDaniel||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||3||5:00||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||10–1||Riki Fukuda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Stann||March 3, 2013||3||5:00||Saitama, Saitama, Japan|
|Win||9–1||Tom Watson||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||3||5:00||Nottingham, England, United Kingdom|
|Win||8–1||Dongi Yang||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Aaron Simpson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 132||July 2, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Phil Baroni||KO (knees and punches)||UFC 125||January 1, 2011||1||4:20||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–0||Seth Baczynski||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale||June 19, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jonathan Joao||TKO (punches)||X-1: Temple of Boom 4||March 7, 2009||1||N/A||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||4–0||Joshua Ferreira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||X-1: Temple of Boom 1||September 27, 2008||2||2:28||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||3–0||Devin Kauwe||TKO (punches)||Icon Sport: Hard Times||August 2, 2008||1||1:52||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||2–0||John Ferrel||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Niko Vitale Promotions||April 18, 2008||1||N/A||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
|Win||1–0||Thomas Sedano||TKO (punches)||MMAC: Conflict: The Beginning||June 29, 2007||1||0:40||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
- "The Ultimate Fighter 11 cast unveiled with 28 middleweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Team ATH Brad Tavares". ATH Sports Nutrition. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "TUF 11 Finale prelims include Tavares vs. Baczynski, Camozzi vs Hammortree". MMAJunkie.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- "Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares targeted for UFC 125 on Jan. 1". October 11, 2010.
- "UFC 132: Aaron Simpson vs Brad Tavares fight booked for July 2 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. May 31, 2011.
- "Tim Credeur vs. Brad Tavares added to UFC 137 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. July 20, 2011.
- "Tim Credeur out, Dustin Jacoby in against Brad Tavares at UFC 137". MMAJunkie.com. October 1, 2011. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- "UFC 137: Brad Tavares injury promotes Jeff Curran vs Scott Jorgensen to televised fight card". MMAMania.com. October 21, 2011. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Tavares vs. Yang added to UFC on FUEL TV 3". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2012.
- "UFC: Nottingham Adds Tom ‘Kong’ Watson vs. Brad Tavares". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- "Brad Tavares vs. Riki Fukuda Confirmed for UFC on Fuel 8". mmaweekly.com. 13 December 2012.
- Staff (2013-06-04). "McDaniel vs. Tavares to UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 in Indy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- UFC News (2014-02-04). "#UFCFightNight in Orlando bout update! @bambamhealy vs @GamebredFighter and @BradTavares vs @YoelRomeroMMA. Tix on sale next Friday.". UFC. Retrieved 2014-02-04.