Bradfield, South Yorkshire
Bradfield shown within Sheffield
|Metropolitan county||South Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Sheffield Hallam|
The civil parish is extensive, the western half is situated in the moorlands of the Peak District, the eastern half is in lower agricultural land and contains the parishes significant habitations, which include the Sheffield suburb of Stannington, as well as Oughtibridge and Worrall, and the villages of High Bradfield and Low Bradfield. The parish also includes several reservoirs, and a number of minor settlements.
Bradfield is one of the largest parishes in England, and covers extensive moor and agricultural land around the Damflask Reservoir, Dale Dike Reservoir, Strines Reservoir, and Agden Reservoirs, including the Bradfield, Midhope, and Broomhead moors and eastern parts of the Howden moors. The western end of the parish reaches to the upper parts of the Upper Derwent Valley with part of its boundary forming Yorkshire’s border with Derbyshire. The northern part of the parish includes the Langsett reservoir and Midhope reservoir, and borders the town and civil parish of Stocksbridge.
The eastern edge reaches the western extent of the urban spread of Sheffield, and includes the suburb of Stannington, as well as the villages of Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side, and Worrall. Minor habitations within the parish include Midhopestones, Upper Midhope on the northern edge, and Dungworth in the southeastern part. The moorland villages of High Bradfield and Low Bradfield are located within the parish. High Bradfield possesses a Gothic revival church, and the earthworks of a motte and bailey castle. Low Bradfield is less historic, having been largely destroyed in the Great Sheffield flood of 1864.
- Midhopestones Conservation Area Appraisal (Final Draft), October 2007, 5.8, "..the parish of Bradfield, which has the distinction of being on of Englands largest parishes (14,400 hectares in extent)."
- "Area: Bradfield CP (Parish)", 2001 Census: Key Statistics (Office for National Statistics)
- Ordnance survey. 1:25000, c.2012
- "Area: Bradfield CP (Parish) - Parish Headcounts", 2001 Census: Key Statistics (Office for National Statistics)
- Sources for the history of Bradfield Produced by Sheffield City Council's Libraries and Archives
Media related to Bradfield, South Yorkshire at Wikimedia Commons