|Look up boast in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Boasting or bragging is the act of making an ostentatious speech. It is considered a vice by major religious groups such as Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Boasting has also been studied by such evolutionary psychologists as Robert Wright, and can involve magnifying an accomplishment out of proportion to its importance.
- Noah Webster (1844). An American Dictionary of the English Language: Exhibiting the Origin, Orthography, Pronunciation, and Definition of Words. Harper & Brothers. p. 95.
- Jan Knappert (1985). Islamic Legends: Histories of the Heroes, Saints, and Prophets of Islam. Brill Archive. p. 160. ISBN 90-04-07487-2.
- What Is Hinduism?: Modern Adventures Into a Profound Global Faith. Himalayan Academy Publications. 2007. p. 281. ISBN 1-934145-00-9.
- Kenneth Kuan Shêng Chʻên (1968). Buddhism: The Light of Asia. Barron's Educational Series. p. 97. ISBN 0-8120-0272-5.
- Robert Wright (1994). The Moral Animal: Evolutionary Psychology and Everyday Life. Random House of Canada. p. 266. ISBN 0-679-40773-1.
- Brown, Nina W., Coping With Infuriating, Mean, Critical People - The Destructive Narcissistic Pattern 2006