A scaled down model of Brahmos-II at Aero India 2013
|Type||Hypersonic cruise missile|
|Place of origin|| India
|300 km (186.4 mi)|
|Ship, submarine, aircraft and land-based mobile launchers.|
BrahMos-II or BrahMos-2 or BrahMos Mark II (note: not to be confused with BrahMos block-2) is a hypersonic cruise missile currently under joint development by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia's NPO Mashinostroeyenia, which have together formed BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited. It is the second of the BrahMos series of cruise missiles. The BrahMos-II is expected to have a range of 290 kilometres (180 mi) and a speed of Mach 7. During the cruise stage of flight the missile will be propelled by a scramjet airbreathing jet engine. Other details, including production cost and physical dimensions of the missile, are yet to be published. It is expected to be ready for testing by 2017.
The planned operational range of the BrahMos-II has been restricted to 290 kilometres (180 mi) as Russia is a signatory to the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), which prohibits it from helping other countries develop missiles with ranges above 300 kilometres (190 mi). Its top speed will be double that of the current BrahMos-I, and it has been described as the fastest cruise missile in the world.
Design of multiple variants of the missile was completed by October 2011, with testing starting in 2012. These variants will arm the Project 15B destroyers of the Indian Navy. Fourth-generation multi-purpose Russian Naval destroyers (Project 21956) are also likely to be equipped with the BrahMos II.
- "Hypersonic BrahMos version missile to be ready by 2017". 28 June 2012.
- "Hypersonic version of Brahmos missile on the way with Mach 7". The Economic Times. 9 October 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- "Brahmos to Launch Submarine Version of the Missile, Hike Up Speed to Mach 7 for Hypersonic Version". Retrieved 14 Aug 2012.
- "India, Russia work on hypersonic stealth cruise missile". philSTAR.com. 9 October 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "India, Russia to develop new hypersonic cruise missile :: BrahMos.com". brahmos.com Official Website of Brahmos. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Russia, India to test-fly hypersonic missiles by 2017: BrahMos chief". The Hindu. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "BrahMos 2 Hypersonic Missile to be ready in five years". The Economic Times. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Russian-Indian JV to develop Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile". RIA NOVOSTI. 12/06/2011. Retrieved 23 February 2012. Check date values in:
- "BrahMos to develop first hypersonic cruise missile in 5 years". English.pravda.ru. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- Sandeep Unnithan (18 March 2009). "Govt okays construction of 4 more stealth destroyers". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2012-02-23.