|Birth name||Brahmanandam Kanneganti|
1 February 1956 |
Sattenapalli, Andhra State, India
(now in Andhra Pradesh, India)
Brahmanandam Kanneganti (born 1 February 1956), is an Indian film actor and comedian. Hailing from Sattenapalli in Andhra Pradesh, he mostly acts in Telugu films. Prior to films, he was a Telugu lecturer in Attili, a town in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. He currently holds the Guinness World Record for the most screen credits for a living actor. He was honoured with the Padma Shri, for his contribution to Indian cinema in 2009. Brahmanandam is considered one of the most versatile Indian comic actors, noted particularly for his comic expressions. Brahmanandam was part of the television quiz show Brahmi 1 million Show on iNews.
- He earned a spot in the Guinness World Records for acting in 804 Telugu films in 20 years in 2007.
- Filmfare Best Comedian Award (Telugu) for Manmadhudu (2002).
- In January 2009, the government of India bestowed the title of Padma Shri, fourth highest civilian award, on Brahmanandam for his contributions to art.
- He also earned Best Actor in a Comic Role in Dookudu at The Hyderabad Times Film Awards (2011).
Padma Shri title use
||This article lends undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (May 2014)|
As per a petition filed by BJP Party Leader N. Indrasena Reddy, Brahmanandam was found 'misusing' the Padma Shri title in recently released film 'Denikaina Ready'. The court motioned in favor of the petitioner and on 23 December 2013 announced quoting Article 18 (1) of the Constitution, that the national award did not amount to a "title" and should not be used as a suffix or prefix and in case of non-compliance, the defaulter forfeit the award. However, Brahmanandam has challenged the orders of High Court in the apex court. Subsequently, the Supreme court of India, has ordered him to file an affidavit that he will not misuse the title elsewhere, and ordered for further hearing on 17 April 2014.
Main article: Brahmanandam filmography
- "Most screen credits for a living actor". guinnessworldrecords.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "The Hindu : Front Page : List of Padma awardees 2009". Chennai, India: hindu.com. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Narasimham, M.L. (22 August 2011). "It's a mad mad comedy". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Brahmanandam felicitated". The Times of India. 18 May 2011.
- "Brain teasers with Brahmanandam". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 14 July 2009.
- "Guinness record for Brahmanandam". The Times of India. 15 December 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- "Manikchand Filmfare Awards: Sizzling at 50". BSNL. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Padmasri for Brahmanandam". IndiaGlitz.
- "The Hyderabad Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 24 June 2012.
- "HC asks Mohan Babu to return Padma Shri - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Andhra Pradesh high court asks Telugu actors Mohan Babu, Brahmanandam to return Padma Shri - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "SC orders Mohan Babu to file an affidavit - The Times of India". The Times Of India.