|Birth name||Brahmanandam Kanneganti|
1 February 1956 |
Sattenapalli, Andhra Pradesh, India
Brahmanandam Kanneganti (born 1 February 1956), is an Indian film actor and comedian. Hailing from Sattenapalli in Andhra Pradesh, he mostly acts in Telugu films. Prior to films, he was a Telugu lecturer in Attili, a town in West Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. He currently holds the Guinness World Record for the most screen credits for a living actor. He was honoured with the Padma Shri, for his contribution to Indian cinema in 2009. Brahmanandam is considered one of the most versatile Indian comic actors, noted particularly for his comic expressions. Brahmanandam was part of the television quiz show Brahmi 1 million Show on iNews.
Padma Shri Controversy
As per a petition filed by BJP Party Leader N. Indrasena Reddy, Brahmanandam was found 'misusing' the Padma Shri title in recently released film 'Denikaina Ready'. The court motioned in favor of the petitioner and on 23rd December 2013 announced quoting Article 18 (1) of the Constitution, that the national award did not amount to a "title" and should not be used as a suffix or prefix and in case of non-compliance, the defaulter forfeit the award. However, Brahmanandam has challenged the orders of High Court in the apex court. Subsequently, the Supreme court of India, has ordered him to file an affidavit that he will not misuse the title elsewhere, and ordered for further hearing on April 17, 2014.
- Acharya Nagarjuna University awarded Brahmanandam an honorary doctorate award.
- In 2005, he was selected to receive the Allu Award, instituted in the memory of Allu Rama Lingaiah. On 1 October 2005, the award was presented to him at a function in Hyderabad. It consists of a Swarna Kankanam (gold bracelet), a citation and a souvenir.
- He earned a spot in the Guinness World Records for acting in 754 Telugu films in 20 years in 2007.
- Filmfare Best Comedian Award (Telugu) for Dhee (2007).
- He was awarded the Nandi Award for Best Male Comedian for the 2008 film Ready.
- In January 2009, the government of India bestowed the title of Padma Shri, fourth highest civilian award, on Brahmanandam for his contributions to art.
- Best Actor in a Comic Role in Dookudu at The Hyderabad Times Film Awards (2011).
- SIIMA Award for Best Comedian 2012, for Dookudu
- Nominated—SIIMA Award for Best Comedian 2013, for Julai
- "Brahmanandam- Biography". cinebasti.com. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Most screen credits for a living actor". guinnessworldrecords.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- "The Hindu : Front Page : List of Padma awardees 2009". Chennai, India: hindu.com. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Narasimham, M.L. (22 August 2011). "It's a mad mad comedy". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Brahmanandam felicitated". The Times of India. 18 May 2011.
- "Brain teasers with Brahmanandam". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 14 July 2009.
- HC asks Mohan Babu to return Padma Shri - The Times of India
- Andhra Pradesh high court asks Telugu actors Mohan Babu, Brahmanandam to return Padma Shri - The Times of India
- SC orders Mohan Babu to file an affidavit - The Times of India
- "Guinness record for Brahmanandam". The Times of India. 15 December 2007. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- "Padmasri for Brahmanandam". IndiaGlitz.
- "The Hyderabad Times Film Awards 2011". The Times Of India. 24 June 2012.
- "Str And His Telugu Link - Jai - Str - Vaalu - Santhanam - Brahmanandam - Vettai Mannan - Tamil Movie News - Behindwoods.com". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Pawan Kalyan and Brahmanandam Combination again". timesofap.com. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Gabbar Singh to release for Sankranthi - Telugu Movie News". indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.