Braintree High School
|Braintree High School|
|128 Town Street
Braintree, Massachusetts, Norfolk County, 02184
(Partnership, Respect and Responsibility, Involvement, Diversity, Educational Excellence)
|School district||Braintree Public Schools|
|• Grade 9||366|
|• Grade 10||380|
|• Grade 11||377|
|• Grade 12||362|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Slogan||"Once a Wamp, Sometimes a Wamp"|
|Athletics conference||Bay State Conference|
|Rival||Milton Wildcats, Weymouth Wildcats|
|Average SAT scores||524 verbal
1584 total (2014)
|Feeder schools||South Middle School, East Middle School|
|BHS School Store||The Wamp Stop|
|Website||Braintree High School|
Braintree High School (BHS) is a four-year secondary school located in Braintree, Massachusetts, within Norfolk County. The school is part of the Braintree Public Schools district and is located to the north side of Sunset Lake at 128 Town Street.
As of 2013, the Headmaster is James Lee. Braintree's school colors are blue and white and their school and athletic teams claim the nickname of "The Wamps." It is held by the school that the name is derived from the Massachusetts Indian Nation Chief Sachem known as Wampatuck, whose name means "White Deer." The building is considered Brutalist architecture. Braintree High School's website is Braintree High School Website
Braintree High School offers eighteen Advanced Placement (AP) courses; more than an eighth of the senior class is enrolled in at least one AP course.
Braintree High is a member of the Bay State Conference, a league in the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association. They have traditional rivalries with Milton High School, including the annual football game on Thanksgiving Day, and Weymouth High School. Recently the Boys' Gymnastics squad has consistently repeated as champions of the BSC while the Cheerleading squad competes on the national stage. There have been several other state champions produced by BHS in the past several years, most notably in girls' athletics. The Lady Wamps Basketball team won the state title for the 2005–06 fall season while the Soccer team won in both 2005 and again in 2006. In back-to-back years the Girls Basketball team won state championships in 2014 and went undefeated in 2015.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (March 2011)|
- Kevin Buckley, Former MLB player (Texas Rangers)
- Jim Calhoun, Connecticut Huskies men's basketball former coach
- Chris Doherty, lead singer of the band Gang Green
- Peter Kormann, Olympic gymnast/Bronze medalist
- Boo Morcom, Olympic pole vaulter, masters world record holder
- Butch Stearns WFXT-TV (Fox-25) Sports Anchor Sun-Thursday
- Joseph Sullivan, mayor of the Town of Braintree
- Bob Dee, former NFL player, Boston Patriots
- Jim Turner, former Miami Dolphins Offensive Line Coach
- "Braintree High School". GPVillage. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Braintree High School in BRAINTREE, MA". US News. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "SAT Performance Report". Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "MIAA League Directory". Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association. p. 5. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Michelle Fenelon (14 March 2015). "Braintree girls repeat as Division 1 state champs". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Albert Richmond "Boo" Morcom Obituary: View Albert Morcom's Obituary by Concord Monitor". Concord Monitor. Retrieved 6 January 2015.