Bramalea Secondary School
|Bramalea Secondary School|
|510 Balmoral Drive
Brampton, Ontario, L6T 1W4, Canada
|School board||Peel District School Board|
|Area trustee||Beryl Ford
|Vice principal||Tina DeBartolo
|School type||Public High School|
|Language||English, French Immersion|
|Motto||"The future belongs to those who prepare for it."|
|Mascot||Bruno the Bronco|
|Team name||Bramalea Broncos|
|Colours||Double Blue and White|
Bramalea Secondary School (nicknamed BSS) is a high school located in Brampton, Ontario, operating under the Peel District School Board. Established in 1963, Bramalea has a proud tradition of excellence, school spirit, and community involvement. The School starts at 8:30am and ends at 3:02pm.
On December 10, 2004, a gunman shot 47-year-old grade 10 teacher Aysegul Candir in the head multiple times in a Bramalea Secondary School parking lot. Mrs. Candir was pronounced dead in hospital later in the day. Peel Regional Police would later apprehend Candir's 62 year old husband, Erhun, and charge him with murder. The incident was considered as a domestic dispute, and even though the school was locked down for most of the day, students were never in harms way. Mrs. Candir is remembered as a "wonderful" teacher.
- The 2008-09 school year marked a significant change for Bramalea's yearbook program.
- A new website BSS Yearbook was launched. The main feature of the website is an online photo gallery for the other 99% of photos that don't make it into the book.
- For the past few years, yearbooks had been delivered in the fall. This year, books are scheduled for June delivery.
In 2012, 307 students graduated from the school. East Asians, South Asians, and Blacks made up almost 80% of the graduating class. In 1983, there were two black students and four South Asian students among the 142 graduating students.
Clubs and extracurriculars
Students are encouraged to get involved in the many clubs and teams available at B.S.S. The following is a list of clubs and teams that are available to the students.
Sports teams and clubs
Honour (School year)
- 2008-2009 Junior Boys Volleyball Team Tier 2 Champion
- 2008-2009 Junior Boys Cricket Champion
- 2009-2010 Junior Boys Soccer Champion
- 2009-2010 Boys Curling Sliver Medalist
- 2009-2010 Junior Boys Basketball ROPSSAA Tier 2 Champion
- 2009-2010 Senior Boys Rugby ROPSSAA Tier 2 Champion
- 2010-2011 Girl Field Hockey semi finalist
- 2010-2011 Girl Flag Football Semi-Finalist
- 2010-2011 Boys Curling ROPSSAA Champion, Advanced to OFSAA
- 2010-2011 Senior Boys Basketball ROPSSAA Tier 2 Champion
- 2010-2011 Badminton: Marrio Campbell is Runner up in Senior Badminton Final tournament and Finished in Quarterfinal in OFSAA in Flight B
- 2010-2011 Senior Cricket Team: Tier 2 silver Medalist.
- Bascaramurty, Dakshana. "How Brampton demonstrates the new vision of Canada ." The Globe and Mail. Saturday June 15, 2013. Retrieved on October 28, 2014.