Brandon High School (Brandon, Florida)
|Brandon High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Number of students||appx. 2,300 as of 2007-2008|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
The school originally opened in 1914 on the current site of McLane Middle School. In 1972, the school moved to its current location on Victoria Street in Brandon. The school colors are maroon and white. The school mascot is the Eagle. Brandon High is currently Pending school grade in SDHC's high school grading scale. The school has been awarded Blue Ribbon School status.
The Brandon wrestling team holds the national record for the longest winning streak (34 years, 459 wins) by a high school sports team. This accomplishment is often referred to as "The Streak". The streak came to an end on January 5, 2008, when Brandon was defeated by South Dade High School 32-28. The team also boasts 23 Florida State Team Championships (including a current State Record Streak of 23 in a row) and over 165 state placers. In 2014, the program won its 14th consecutive state championship. In addition to winning the state title, Brandon had 7 individual champions. The state placers are listed on the west wall of the Brandon Wrestling Workout room by first initial and last name, followed by their place and the year they placed.
Brandon High boys won the state championship in 2003.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2015)|
Brandon High School Nature Preserve
This approximately 1.5-acre (6,100 m2) wooded site located on the south side of the campus was designated an official Schoolyard Habitat in 2006 by the National Wildlife Federation. Ecology students help collect animal and plant data annually using a variety of tools and technologies including Global Positioning Satellite receivers and digital cameras. They also construct nesting boxes for birds and roosting boxes for bats to help increase the biodiversity of the area. Many other classes use the area as an outdoor classoom, including art, English, performing arts, and technology.
- Scott Blake visual artist
- J. S. G. Boggs visual artist
- Chris Cates former professional baseball player.
- Rick Barrio Dill bass guitar player
- Chone Figgins professional baseball player with the Seattle Mariners
- David Galloway former professional football player
- Franklin Gomez freestyle wrestler
- Joey Graham professional basketball player
- Stevie Graham professional basketball player
- Danny Graves former professional baseball player
- Garry Hancock former professional baseball player
- Toney Mack former professional basketball player
- Mike Pucillo professional football player with the Washington Redskins
- Jody Reed former professional baseball player
- Dwayne Schintzius former professional basketball player
- Ronda Storms, Florida state legislature
- Jeff Turner former professional basketball player
- "Administration". Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- School Grade
- Brandon High's Wrestling Site
- Answers.com Entry for Brandon Wrestling
- ESPN - Florida high school wrestling team's streak ends after 459 straight victories - High School Sports
- O'Neill, Joe (February 25, 2014). "Brandon wrestling is about more than winning". The Tampa Tribune. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "Brandon native turns bar codes into works of art". Tampa Bay Online News. Retrieved September 3, 2012.