Branford (Shore Line East station)
Platform at Branford looking west
|Address||39 Maple Street
Branford, CT 06405
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Electrified||25,000V (AC) overhead catenary|
Branford is a station along the Shore Line East commuter railroad between Stamford and New London, Connecticut. Branford is also a station on the northern section Northeast Corridor. Amtrak does not stop at this station but Amtrak trains can often be seen passing this station.
Prior to the establishment of the Shore Line East system, Branford was a stop for Amtrak's Beacon Hill trains. The current station, with an ADA-compliant high-level side platform, opened on August 8, 2005, replacing a nearby earlier station with low-level platforms. A second platform on the north side of the tracks was originally to be constructed beginning in November 2012. Construction on the $16.5M project - which includes the new platform, a pedestrian overpass with elevators, a kiss-and-ride lot on the north side of the tracks, and restoration of an existing parking lot - began in September 2013.
Ridership increases rendered the 199-spot parking lot at Branford insufficient. As a result, a 272-spot expansion was opened in late June, 2011, bringing total available parking at the station to 471 spots.
Other train stations in Branford
Downtown Branford was not the only part of Branford with a train station. Stations were located at Pine Orchard (off Pine Orchard Road) and Stony Creek (off Totoket Road (CT-146) near Branford Center). Both stops served the Clamdigger until it was discontinued in 1972.
- Branford station Shore Line East official website
- 1979 Amtrak Beacon Hill timetable
- http://www.shorelineeast.com/whatsnew.htm retrieved 2008-08-17
- Mazzacane, Steven M. (31 July 2012). "New North Side Platform and Overpass for Branford Train Station". The Branford Seven. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Mazzacane, Stephen M. (9 September 2013). "Work Begins on Branford Train Station Improvements". Branford Seven. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Hunter, Felicia. "Commuters See a Lot to Like at Branford Train Station". Branford Patch. Patch. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) (1 May 1971). "Nationwide Schedules of Intercity Passenger Service". The Museum of Railway Timetables. p. 6. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
Media related to Branford (Shore Line East station) at Wikimedia Commons