||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (May 2012)|
|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|Population||308 (December 2012)|
|- Density||30 /km2 (79 /sq mi)|
|Area||10.13 km2 (3.91 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,256 m (4,121 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Betschwanden, Linthal, Luchsingen, Muotathal (SZ), Rüti|
Braunwald is first mentioned in 1421 as Brunwald.
Braunwald has an area, as of 2006[update], of 10.1 km2 (3.9 sq mi). Of this area, 43.7% is used for agricultural purposes, while 28.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 3.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (24.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Braunwald has a population (as of 31 December 2012) of 308. As of 2007[update], 13.0% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -25.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.6%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 3.2%) and Dutch being third ( 1.2%).
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Braunwald about 70.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Braunwald has an unemployment rate of 1.2%. As of 2005[update], there were 40 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 15 businesses involved in this sector. 20 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 7 businesses in this sector. 215 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 28 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Braunwald has an average of 161.3 days of rain per year and on average receives 2,025 mm (79.7 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is August during which time Braunwald receives an average of 206 mm (8.1 in) of precipitation. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 15.4 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is July, with an average of 16, but with only 199 mm (7.8 in) of precipitation. The driest month of the year is October with an average of 120 mm (4.7 in) of precipitation over 15.4 days.
Braunwald is the municipality with the highest annual snowfall in Switzerland.
- Braunwald in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 10-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 29 August 2013
- Canton Glarus population growth (German) accessed 9 September 2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 1330 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Braunwald.|