A screenshot of Brave Shot
|Release date(s)||Brave Shot
Brave Shot 2
Run and gun game
Brave Shot is a scrolling shooter mobile phone game developed and published by Square Enix on December 10, 2003. It was released on the Verizon Wireless network in North America exclusively. The title was Square Enix's first foray into the North American mobile gaming market, and it was followed by a run and gun sequel, Brave Shot 2, in September 2005.
Brave Shot is a vertical, 2D top-down shooter in which the player controls a fighter aircraft who must destroy enemy ships appearing from the top of the screen. Since mobile phones cannot register more than one button input at a time, an auto-fire feature is present to allow the player to move while shooting. The player's weapons can be upgraded with more powerful blasters and bombs. Boss ships appear regularly and are large enough to fill the major part of the screen.
The first game was released after Square Enix signed an exclusive agreement with Verizon Wireless to offer their mobile games on the Get It Now download service. It was showcased at the Los Angeles E3 in May 2004.
|Brave Shot reviews|
The gaming site IGN does not consider Brave Shot a "great game" but notes that it is a "fun, little blaster" and "a solid start from Square Enix Mobile, a sign of things to come". The site noted that the gameplay follows a simple, easy to swallow formula, although the difficulty level is not constant. The visuals were judged appealing and the screen-filling bosses the "real stars" of the game. Lastly, the reviewer felt the transition from the end of the looping music track to the start was off as it goes directly from loud to quiet.
- "Verizon Wireless and Square Enix team up to deliver innovative games for gamers on-the-go" (Press release). Square Enix. 2003-12-10. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Buchanan, Levi (2005-08-29). "Brave Shot 2 Preview". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Buchanan, Levi (2004-02-18). "Brave Shot Review". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- IGN Staff (2003-12-11). "Square Signs with Verizon". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- "Square Enix U.S.A., Inc. to unveil multi-faceted lineup at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, May 12–14" (Press release). Square Enix. 2004-05-03. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Mearls, Michael (2004-01-01). "Brave Shot for Mobile Review". GameSpot. CNET Networks. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Falcon, Robert (2006-02-13). "Brave Shot Mobile Review". Modojo. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Buchanan, Levi (2006-05-19). "Wireless Best of E3 2006 Awards". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2008-04-21.