The game takes place in the same universe as Bravely Default, occurring several years after the events of the first game. The game once again will entail a world of adventure, swords, and magic. A new character, Magnolia Arch, will appear in the game as one of the main protagonists. She is apparently from the world's moon, and the last of her kind after a demon attacks her homeland. According to Asano, the game will explore more of the land of Luxendarc.
As early as December 2012, talks of a sequel to Bravely Default arose, with producer Tomoya Asano requesting feedback from fans to be used for a sequel to the game. Talks of a sequel also arose again in June 2013, when game developer Yasumi Matsuno announced on Twitter that character designer and lead artist Akihiko Yoshida was currently working on a Bravely Default sequel. In August 2013, Square Enix announced Bravely Default: For the Sequel, an updated version of the original that would implement new gameplay ideas developed for a sequel in the series. The name Bravely Second was trademarked as early as September 2013. The game's name was officially announced as Bravely Second in a December 2013 issue of Jump magazine. being named after a gameplay mechanic from Bravely Default: For the Sequel. Upon announcement, the game's only announced platform is the Nintendo 3DS. No releases outside of Japan, or in other languages, have been announced. The game is approximately 30% complete as of December 2013.
In December 2013, it was revealed that Yoshida had left Square Enix. Despite this, he states he still plans on continuing to work on the Bravely games, and Bravely Second will still retain the same anime art style established in the first game. albeit with characters having slightly more realistic proportions, being slightly less chibi. Initial brainstorming lead to ideas such as having Magnolia wear a space suit or bunny ears, but this was ultimately scrapped to pursue a more "adult look", something the developers felt was missing in the first title. Asano also confirmed that the game will stay story driven as opposed to exploration driven, as with the first game. In April 2014, producer Tomoya Asano announced in Famitsu's Rumour Column that the scenario for the game is completed.
- Ishaan (2013-12-10). "Bravely Second Will Have Larger Fields, More Things To Do". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Tach, David (2013-10-24). "Bravely Second is a 3DS sequel to Bravely Default". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Ashcraft, Kevin (2012-12-04). "First Look at Bravely Second, the Totally New Bravely Default Sequel". Kotaku. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Romano, Sal (2013-09-12). "Bravely Default sequel announced for 3DS". Gematsu. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Ishaan (2012-12-04). "Bravely Default Sequel, Bravely Second, Announced For 3DS". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Spencer (2013-12-08). "Bravely Second’s New Character Is A Devil Buster From The Moon". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-09.
- Ishaan (2014-02-21). "Bravely Second Will Focus On Story Rather Than Exploration". Siliconera. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Sato (2012-12-17). "Bravely Default Sequel In The Works". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Gera, Emily (2013-12-05). "Bravely Default character designer leaves Square Enix". Polygon. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Ishaan (2013-06-05). "Akihiko Yoshida Working On Next Bravely Default Says Yasumi Matsuno". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Hussain, Tamoor (2012-12-04). "News: Bravely Default sequel announced for 3DS". ComputerAndVideoGames. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- North, Dale (2013-08-28). "Bravely Default For the Sequel expansion announced". Destructoid. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Ishaan (2013-09-18). "Hey, These Trademarks Sound Like Future Bravely Default Games". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Phillips, Tom. "Bravely Default sequel announced for 3DS in Japan • News • 3DS •". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Nunneley, Stephany (2013-12-04). "Bravely Second announced as sequel to Bravely Default". VG247. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Whitehead, Thomas (2012-12-04). "Bravely Default Sequel Confirmed for 3DS in Japan". Nintendolife. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Sato. "Bravely Second Producer Aims To Create A New Pillar Of Support For Square Enix". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Mauro Piccillo. "Bravely Second Scenario Compleato!". EIR Games. Retrieved 2014-04-12.
- Official Japanese website (Japanese)