Bread of Life Church
The Bread of Life Christian Church (Chinese: 靈糧堂), also known as Ling Liang Church, is an independent Chinese church that was founded in Shanghai, China by Pastor Zhao Shiguang (趙世光) in 1943 . In 1954, the headquarters were moved to Taipei. Today there are currently 306 churches all over the world.
In 1943, a senior pastor named Zhao Shiguang established a church named "Bread of Life Church" and the "China Bread of life Worldwide Evangelical Mission" (中國靈糧世界佈道會). The evangelizing commenced in eastern China resulting in the establishment of several church networks and publications. During the Second World War, the church also undertook charity work in war-ravaged China.
According to Zhao Shiguang, the name "Bread of Life Church" (靈糧堂) was adopted from the Bible passage in the Gospel of John 6:35 which recorded Jesus saying: "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst."
When the Communist government came to power in China, no Christian denomination, apart from the government-sponsored Three Self Church, was permitted to exist in China. In the light of these events, Zhao Shiguang abandoned all the church organizational structures in Shanghai and eastern China, and fled to Kowloon, Hong Kong in 1949. There he formed the Kowloon Bread of Life Church and resumed his evangelical and charity work.
The Bread of Life Church began in Taiwan when some church members fled from the Mainland to Taipei. Nevertheless, the church was only formally established on the island on September 1954 when pastor Zhao Shiguang evangelized in Taiwan.
They believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, that:
- The Father is the true God who created the universe,
- The Son Jesus who is equal to God, came to the earth as Man. Jesus was conceived through the Holy Spirit and given birth through the virgin Mary, gave up his life on the cross to redeem the sins of mankind. His sentence enabled humanity to receive peace, the wounds inflicted on Him enables us to be healed. Jesus resurrected after the third day, ascended to heaven, and today sits at the right hand of God the Father and will return once again to judge the world.
- The Holy Spirit is the spirit of living God dwelling in the hearts of believers, the filling of the Holy Spirit can enable believers to live a life of holiness and the ability to serve God.
- They believe that the Holy Bible was inspired by God, it is the foundation of all faith and life.
- Salvation is attained by righteousness through faith. When judgement day comes during the end times, all believers and non-believers will resurrect, the believers will receive eternal life while the unbelievers will receive eternal destruction.
- They believe that the church is the body of Christ. From the Apostolic days until now, we all belong to one body, this testifies to the glory of God.
- Bread of Life Church, Taipei
- Bread of Life Church, Hong Kong
- Bread of Life Church, California
- Bread of Life Church, Toronto