||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (November 2011)|
|Industry||Bakery Production and Sales|
|Headquarters||Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, U.S.|
|Area served||United States|
Dan Sterling (Founder)Tim Malouf (President)
Founder Dan Sterling opened his first bakery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1993. While studying abroad in Norway, Dan got his first taste of European breads. When he returned to the United States, he graduated from Harvard Business School and volunteered to help a local bakery with its accounting. Dan never lost his love of European homemade breads, and from there came the idea to launch a bakery of his own, which today is called Breadsmith. In 1993, Dan opened the doors to his first Bakery located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin at 2632 N. Downer Ave, where a Breadsmith owned by franchisee Don Kaminski is still open today. One year later, in 1994, Dan sold his first franchised store and the company has continued to grow as a franchise operation. Currently there are 35 Breadsmith stores around the United States. Dan Sterling ran Breadsmith, Inc until 2001, when he decided to begin several new successful business adventures.
Breadsmith’s current President is Tim Malouf, he has been in position since February 2006. Tim began his career at Breadsmith shortly after the first store opening in 1993. He has managed a store, as well as worked in several positions including head of research and development and vice president before being promoted to president. The current Breadsmith Franchising, Inc office is located at 409 E Silver Spring Drive, Whitefish Bay, WI.
Breadsmith sells a variety of products, but is focused on breads (including French Boule, French Baguette, French Peasant, Sourdough, Rustic Italian and Whole Wheat) which make up the company's daily bread offerings. Breadsmith offers artisan breads without additives or preservatives, and makes specialty breads, cookies, muffins and sweets.  Breadsmith also offers specialty breads including Brioche, Ciabatta, Cornbread, Focaccia, Multigrain, Pizza Dough, Raisin Cinnamon, Russian Rye, Stollen, Traditional Rye, and a variety of dessert breads, cookies, scones and coffee cakes.
Breadsmith is focused on made-from-scratch, hand-crafted breads using the healthiest ingredients including unbleached, unbromated wheat flour. Each store has a 6-ton stone hearth oven that can bake up to 160 loaves at one time, and the oven’s steam injection system gives the breads their distinctive European-style crust. Breadsmith stores can be found in 35 locations in 14 states including Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin. Most stores provide loaves to retail shoppers, as well as restaurants and grocers via wholesale partnerships. Each Breadsmith store donates bread, time, and other products to help people in their community. In addition, all of the stores donate day-old bread to shelters and soup kitchens.
Best Kosher Bakery in Chicago 2008, 2009 
Best Specialty Bread- Shepherd Express 2008 
Best Bread - Springfield! Magazine 2000, 2001,2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 
Small Business of the Year- Fargo, ND 2006 
Best Pumpkin Bread- Detroit News 2004 
Best Bread Bakery- Cleveland 2000, 2007 
Breadsmith has also received top honors from Bon Appetit magazine, Modern Baking, International Culinary Salon, and the National Restaurant Association.
Top 50 Largest Foodservice Bakery Chains - Modern Baking 2010 
- "Breadsmith". TheFranchiseMall.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "People on the move". The Business Journal. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Even in tough times, Breadsmith is making dough (PDF)". The Business Journal. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Breads". breadsmith.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Sweets". Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "The Food Lover's Guide to Milwaukee". M Magazine - Food & Wine Issue. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Breadsmith banks on lure of fresh loaves". Rio Grande Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Community". breadsmith.com. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Kosher Food Industry News". Kosher Today. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Best of Milwaukee Final Announcement". Shepherd Express. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Breadsmith of Springfield". breadsmith.com. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Vogel Law Firm given honor". The Forum. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Taste Panel: Pumpkin Bread". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Best of Cleveland". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Breadsmith Introduces Dessert Bread, Almond Cookies". Mesa Uplands Up Close. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Top 50 Largest Foodservice Bakery Chains". Modern Baking.