Breast enlargement is the process of increasing or attempting to increase the size of breasts in humans, usually in women. Many women regard their breasts, which are female secondary sex characteristics, as important to their sexual attractiveness, as a sign of femininity that is important to their sense of self. Due to this, when a woman considers her breasts deficient in some respect, she might choose to engage in some activity intended to enhance them.
Methods used in an effort to achieve larger breasts include:
- Breast enlargement supplements, pills or other ingested substances containing herbs asserted to increase breast size hormonally.
- Breast implants, prosthetic devices physically implanted in the body.
- Augmentation mammoplasty, often used following a mastectomy.
- Mark Eden bust developer, a fraudulently marketed method and device.
- "Secondary sex characteristics". .hu-berlin.de. Retrieved 2011-10-31.