Società Italiana Ernesto Breda
||It has been suggested that Breda Meccanica Bresciana be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since February 2013.|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2010)|
Air force trainers
|Subsidiaries||Breda Meccanica Bresciana
Società Italiana Ernesto Breda, more usually referred to simply as Breda, was an Italian mechanical manufacturing company founded by Ernesto Breda in Milan in 1886. The firm originally manufactured locomotives and other railway machinery, but later branched out into armaments and aircraft. Occasionally, not continuously, the company also built trolleybuses. In 1962, it was nationalised as part of EFIM, but was liquidated in the 1990s. The bus and tram manufacturing division fused with Ansaldo to form AnsaldoBreda, the armaments division became an independent entity as Breda Meccanica Bresciana, as did the research division as Istituto Scientifico Breda.
Bredas rolling stock is the notoreuis SFMTA LRVs and the massively wide DC subway cars.
The production of trolleybuses was a small part of Breda's output, carried out through its subsidiary Breda Costruzioni Ferroviarie (it), and was not under way continuously. Between 1936 and 1940, the company built a total of 28 trolleybuses, most for the Rome system but including six for Genoa. At various times between 1938 and 1956, more trolleybuses were built, but totalling only 16. Production resumed in 1988. Almost all of Breda's customers for trolleybuses were Italian trolleybus systems, but a notable exception was an order of 236 dual-mode buses that Breda built for the Seattle system between 1988 and 1991.
- Luigi Giugni, Le imprese a partecipazione statale, Naples, Jovene, 1972
- Pasquale Saraceno, Il sistema delle imprese a partecipazione statale nell'esperienza italiana, Milano, Giuffrè, 1975
- Bruno Amoroso - Ole Jess Olsen, Lo stato imprenditore, Bari, Laterza, 1978
- Nico Perrone, Il dissesto programmato. Le partecipazioni statali nel sistema di consenso democristiano, Bari, Dedalo, 1991
- Nico Perrone, Italian and American Patterns in a Conflictive Development, Roskilde, Roskilde Universitetscenter, 1992
- La Breda produce, mostra fotografica, dal sito dell’Istituto per la Storia dell’Età Contemporanea 
- La linea del fuoco
- Gunston, Bill (1993). World Encyclopedia of Aircraft Manufacturers. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press. p. 56.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Breda (Milan).|
- Fondazione Isec - Breda (Italian)
- Mostra fotografica online Fondazione Isec - La Breda produce (Italian)
- Treccani.it BREDA, Ernesto (Italian)