Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf|
|Grade I race|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 mile (8.0 furlongs)|
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf is a one mile turf stakes race for thoroughbred fillies two years old. As its name implies, it is part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships, the de facto year-end championship for North American thoroughbred racing.
Because of technical requirements, it was not eligible for classification as a graded stakes race in its first two runnings. The American Graded Stakes Committee made it a Grade II race in 2010. Effective with the 2012 edition, it became a Grade I race.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that alloted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races.
Each of the fourteen divisions has between three and ten of these, "Win and You're In," qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf Division, runners are limited to 14 and there are five automatic berths.
The "Win and You're In" races are:
1. the Lowther Stakes, a Group 2 race at York Racecourse in York, England;
2. the Moyglare Stud Stakes, a Group 1 race at Curragh Racecourse in County Kildare, Ireland;
3. the Natalma Stakes, a Grade 3 race at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario, Canada;
4. the Miss Grillo Stakes, a Grade 3 race at Belmont in Elmont, New York and
5. the Jessamine Stakes, a Grade 2 race at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Kentucky.
Most wins by a jockey:
- No jockey has won this race more than once.
Most wins by a trainer:
- 2 - Chad Brown (2008, 2014)
Most wins by an owner:
- No owner has won this race more than once.
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf since 2008
|2014||Lady Eli||2||Irad Ortiz Jr.||Chad C. Brown||Sheep Pond Partners||1:33.41||$1,000,000||I|
|2013||Chriselliam (IRE)||2||Richard Hughes||Charles Hills||W Carson, E Asprey & C Wright||1:33.72†||$1,000,000||I|
|2012||Flotilla (FRA)||2||Christophe Lemaire||Mikel Delzangles||Sheikh Mohammed Al Thani||1:34.64†||$1,000,000||I|
|2011||Stephanie's Kitten||2||John Velazquez||Wayne Catalano||Ken & Sarah Ramsey||1:38.90||$1,000,000||II|
|2010||More Than Real||2||Garrett K. Gomez||Todd Pletcher||Bobby Flay||1:36.61||$1,000,000||II|
|2009||Tapitsfly||2||Robby Albarado||Dale L. Romans||Frank L. Jones, Jr.||1:34.25||$1,000,000|
|2008||Maram||2||Jose Lezcano||Chad C. Brown||Karen N. Woods & Saud bin Khaled||1:35.15||$1,000,000|
† Distance 1 mile
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events
- Monthly Index to Online Story's | Blood-Horse.com
- Graded Stakes Committee releases 2008 changes - Thoroughbred Times
- LaMarra, Tom (2008-12-03). "Arkansas Derby Among Three New Grade I Stakes". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- Hegarty, Matt (December 2, 2011). "Two BC races, Cotillion among four new Grade 1 stakes for 2012". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- Breeders Cup Challenge