Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf
|Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf|
|Grade I race|
|Location||United States, United States|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Website||Official Breeders' Cup website|
|Distance||One mile (8 furlongs)|
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf is an American Thoroughbred horse race for two-year-old horses, run on a grass course at a distance of one mile. It is part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships, the de facto year-end championship for North American thoroughbred racing. All Breeders' Cups to date have been conducted in the United States, with the exception of the 1996 event in Canada.
The race was run for the first time in 2007 during the first day of the expanded Breeders' Cup at host track, Monmouth Park Racetrack in Oceanport, New Jersey. The race received Grade II status in 2009. The American Graded Stakes Committee further upgraded the race to Grade I status for 2011.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that alloted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races. Each of the fourteen divisions has between three and ten of these, "Win and You're In," qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Division runners are limited to 14 and there are six automatic berths.
The "Win and You're In" races are:
1. the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Trial Stakes, a Group 3 race at Leopardstown Racecourse in Dublin, Ireland;
2. the Summer Stakes, a Grade 3 race at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Ontario, Canada;
3. the Royal Lodge Stakes, a Group 2 race at Rowley Mile in Newmarket, England;
4. the Bourbon Stakes, a Grade 3 race at Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Kentucky;
5. the Pilgrim Stakes, a Grade 3 race at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York and
6. the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere, a Group 1 race at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris, France.
- No horse has won this race more than once.
Most wins by a jockey:
Most wins by a trainer:
Most wins by an owner:
Winners Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf since 2007
|2013||Outstrip (GB)||Mike Smith||Charlie Appleby||Godolphin Racing||1:33.20||$1,000,000||I|
|2012||George Vancouver||Ryan Moore||Aidan O'Brien||John Magnier/Michael Tabor/Derrick Smith||1:33.78||$1,000,000||I|
|2011||Wrote||Ryan Moore||Aidan O'Brien||John Magnier/Michael Tabor/Derrick Smith||1:37.41||$1,000,000||I|
|2010||Pluck||Garrett K. Gomez||Todd Pletcher||Team Valor||1:36.98||$1,000,000||II|
|2009||Pounced||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden||Lady Serena Rothschild||1:35.47||$1,000,000||II|
|2008||Donativum||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden||Jordan Princess Haya/ Darley||1:34.68||$1,000,000|
|2007||Nownownow||Julien Leparoux||Francois Parisel||Fab Oak Stable||1:40.48||$1,000,000|
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events