Breeders' Cup Turf
|Breeders' Cup Turf|
|Grade I race|
|Website||Breeders' Cup Turf|
|Distance||1 1⁄2 miles|
|Qualification||3-year-olds and up|
4-year-olds & up: 126 lb (57.2 kg)
Northern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 122 lb (55.3 kg)
Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds: 117 lb (53.1 kg)
The Breeders' Cup Turf is a Weight for Age Thoroughbred horse race on turf for three-year-olds and up. It is held annually at a different racetrack in the United States or Canada as part of the Breeders' Cup World Championships. The race's current title sponsor is Emirates Airlines.
The forerunner for this race was the Washington, D.C. International Stakes at Laurel Park Racecourse. Inaugurated in 1952, it was raced on turf at 1 1⁄2 miles and drew the best horses from North America and Europe. A winner of this race was the American legend Kelso, albeit on his fourth attempt, after being second three times in a row.
Beginning in 2007, the Breeders' Cup developed "The Breeders' Cup Challenge," a series of races in each division that allotted automatic qualifying bids to winners of defined races.
Each of the fourteen divisions has between three and ten of these, "Win and You're In," qualifying races.
In the Breeders' Cup Turf Division runners are limited to 14 and there are eleven automatic berths.
The "Win and You're In" races are:
1. the Gran Premio 25 de Mayo, at Hipódromo de San Isidro in San Isidro, Buenos Aires, Argentina;
2. the Grande Prêmio Brasil, at Hipódromo da Gávea in Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
3. the Takarazuka Kinen, a Grade 1 race at Hanshin Racecourse in Takarazuka, Hyogo, Japan;
4. the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, at Saint-Cloud Racecourse in Paris, France;
5. the United Nations Stakes, a Grade 1 race at Monmouth Park Racetrack in Oceanport, New Jersey;
6. the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes, a Group 1 race at Ascot Racecourse in Ascot, England;
7. the Arlington Million, a Grade 1 race at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights, Illinois;
8. the Del Mar Handicap, a Grade 2 race at Del Mar Racetrack in San Diego, California;
9. the Grosser Preis von Baden, a Group 1 race at Iffezheim Racecourse in Baden-Baden, Germany;
10. the Irish Champion Stakes, a Group 1 race at Leopardstown Racecourse in Dublin, Ireland and
11. the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic, a Grade 1 race at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York.
Speed record: Little Mike (2012)
Most wins by a jockey:
- 4 - Frankie Dettori (1999, 2001, 2006, 2010)
Most wins by a trainer:
Most wins by an owner:
- 4 - Magnier,Tabor & Smith (2002, 2003, 2011, 2013)
Winners of the Breeders' Cup Turf
† Indicates filly/mare
- Breeders' Cup Turf "top three finishers" and starters
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships
- American Thoroughbred Racing top Attended Events