|— Village and Former Municipality —|
|County||Sogn og Fjordane|
|• Total||207 km2 (80 sq mi)|
|Split from||Evenvig in 1850|
|Merged into||Lavik og Brekke in 1861|
|Split from||Lavik og Brekke in 1905|
|Merged into||Gulen in 1964|
Brekke is a village and former municipality in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. It is located in the northeastern part of the present-day municipality of Gulen in the traditional district of Sogn. The municipality of Brekke existed from 1850 until 1861 and then again from 1905 until 1964.
The administrative center of the municipality of Brekke was the village of Brekke, located on the southern shore of the Sognefjord, about a 35 kilometres (22 mi) drive from the municipal center of Eivindvik. The highway is accessible 4.5 kilometres (2.8 mi) south of the village, with ferry service across the Sognefjord available 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) away in Ytre Oppedal. The village of Brekke has a population (2001) of 299 people.
Brekke was originally established as a municipality in 1850 when it was split from the municipality of Evindvig. At that time Brekke had a population of 898. In 1861, Brekke was merged with neighboring Lavik municipality to form the new municipality of Lavik og Brekke. On 1 January 1875, a part of Klævold with 90 inhabitants was moved to Lavik og Brekke.
On 1 January 1905, the municipality of Lavik og Brekke was split, leaving Lavik and Brekke as separate municipalities once again. After the split, Brekke had a population of 982. On 1 January 1964, Brekke became a part of Gulen, the neighboring municipality to the west. Before the merger Brekke had a population of 782.
- "Brekke – tidl. kommune" (in Norwegian). Store norske leksikon. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Statistisk sentralbyrå (2001). Folke- og boligtellingen 2001, kommune- og bydelshefter 1411 Gulen (PDF) (in Norwegian).
- Arthur, Ross G. (2002). English-Old Norse Dictionary (PDF). Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.
- Rygh, Oluf (1919). Norske gaardnavne: Nordre Bergenhus amt (in Norwegian) (12 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 192.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.